Five Ways to Wear Your Favorite College Theme Parties

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Every collegiette has been to that awesome mixer with a crazy theme that was so fun to get dressed up with your girlfriends for. The random costumes from high school sprit week that you kept were finally put to good use. But what about when the party’s over? Make getting ready for class just as fun as getting ready for a mixer by incorporating these five fun ideas!

1.     Jarty

While wearing all-jean is the recipe for a perfect Canadian tuxedo, try wearing dark jeans with a lighter-denim button-down shirt to make it appropriate for wearing to class or a casual brunch with friends. The contrast between the two shades of denim looks fashion forward without being too matchy-matchy.

2.     Tight and Bright

It’s hard to be subtle when it comes to neon attire. However, the best way to incorporate this theme without appearing like you just left Chi Phi’s Welcome Week highlighter party is to be subtle. Try sporting bright accessories like a neon purse with black leggings or jeans.

3.     All-American

When it’s not the Fourth of July, most American-Flag printed t-shirts are definitely out of the question. Instead, try mixing and matching shades of red, white and blue with curled hair and red lips for an outfit that can be suitable for a fun night at Main Street bars.

4.     Toga Party

The classic Animal House-frat party theme: every collegiette has attended at least one toga party in their time at UM. To transform this theme into daily attire, look into purchasing a wrap dress. This wardrobe staple is classy and comfortable!

5.     Decades: 70s, 80s, 90s, etc.

With a lot of retro-looks coming back in style, this theme is one of the most fun to incorporate into everyday-wear. For a throwback to the 70s, try wearing a casual tie-dye dress with a floral headband or lots of long necklaces. While dressing for the 80s might have consisted of huge should pads, leggings and big hair for your last party, instead, try wearing dark leggings with a denim vest. To put a little 90s flair into your wardrobe, hit up any vintage shop to pick out a cool plaid shirt or cropped sweater. 

Lauren is currently a junior, Anthropology and Psychology double major from the Ann Arbor area. She is currently the Marketing Director and Events Chair for the UMich HC branch. She is also an active member of her sorority and Greek Life. Lauren loves Michigan football Saturdays, traveling, volunteering in her community and getting to know new people.