Five TV Shows You Should Be Watching

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

With October coming to a close, and midterms finally behind us, we can breathe a sigh of relief and get back to the more important things in life: catching up on our favorite TV shows. If you happen to be all caught up, or are just looking for something new to watch, look no further. Here are five T.V. shows that you definitely don’t want to miss out on.     

This is Us

NBC’s newest drama This is Us, opens up with four different people, all of whom share a birthday. As the episode unfolds – and we get a glimpse into each of their lives – we discover just how closely related these four seemingly unrelated characters actually are. I don’t want to give too much away, but when I say that the twist at the end of the first episode is going to leave you speechless, I wholeheartedly mean it. This show will make you laugh, cry, and then cry a little more as it weaves together the lives of real people dealing with real issues. Seriously, please watch this show. You won’t regret it.  

How to Get Away with Murder

Viola Davis absolutely kills it (pun intended) in this crime drama about a defense attorney turned law professor who finds herself, along with five of her students, thrown into a world of secrets, lies, and homicide. Each episode is crazier than the last, and I guarantee that on more than one occasion you will be left staring at your television screen asking yourself, did that really just happen? The answer is yes, it really did. With Shonda Rhimes as an executive producer, How to Get Away with Murder is guaranteed to not only keep you guessing, but to blow your mind in the process.

Jane the Virgin

Jane Villanueva’s life gets turned upside down when she discovers that she has been accidentally inseminated while at a routine doctor’s appointment and is now pregnant. To make things even more complicated, Jane has a boyfriend, the baby daddy is her married boss, and, oh yeah, she’s a virgin who has been saving herself for marriage. A parody on the classic telenovela, this show has just the right amount of ridiculous drama and breathtaking romance (#TeamRafael) to make it irresistible. If for some reason you have not yet seen Jane the Virgin, run, don’t walk, to the nearest computer and binge watch immediately.

Shameless

A Showtime original, Shameless introduces us to the Gallagher’s, a dysfunctional family from Chicago just trying to survive. While the show can be pretty heavy, and often tackles issues such as poverty, alcoholism and drug abuse, it’s hard to resist the chaos, and even harder to stop yourself from getting emotionally invested in the well-being of this complex group of people. Although the seventh season just premiered, it’s never too late to get caught up. So grab some snacks, put off all responsibilities, and watch the first six seasons on Netflix now.

Gilmore Girls

Although not technically on the air, Gilmore Girls deserves a spot on this list because when Netflix announced that they were bringing it back for a four-part special this November, all of my prayers were finally answered. If you have never seen the show, or if you have seen the show and just want an excuse to watch it for the third, or fourth, or fifth time, now is your chance. Transport yourself to Stars Hollow and hang out with two of my favorite ladies, Rory and Lorelai, as they navigate through love, friendship, and everything in between. If you start now, you will have just enough time to prepare yourself for Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life, which becomes available to stream on Friday, November 25. Mark your calendars and get to watching!

Images courtesy of: Raw Story, Popsugar, The Hollywood Reporter, Bustle, and International Business Time