photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

Five Things I Learned After Coming Home for Thanksgiving Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Thanksgiving break is typically an overwhelming time for college students.  For many, it is the first time since leaving for school that they are returning back to the place they called home their entire lives.  I appreciated the hiatus from stressful classes and exams, but my Thanksgiving break was more than just a time of relaxation.  Returning home for Thanksgiving break led to many realizations that fostered a new perspective on various aspects of my life.  As I hung out with old friends and spent time with my family, I learned many important things about myself, the people I surround myself with, and the hometown I grew up in. 

1. True friends will make an effort to keep in touch

While the texts and FaceTimes help us maintain communication with long distance friends while we’re away, the true question is whether or not you’ll actually see those friends once you’re back at home.  Those who truly value your friendship will reach out to make plans while you have the opportunity to be together.  Whether it’s going to dinner or shopping at all of the local stores, the time you’re able to spend together over break is essential to preserving those long distance friendships

2. Home cooked meals are the best

As much as I love all of the amazing food Ann Arbor has to offer, nothing compares to a home cooked meal.  Everyone loves venturing out and trying the newest restaurants, but you won’t be able to find your mom’s homemade mac & cheese anywhere else.  You have to take it all in while you’re home and appreciate the meals that give you the “homey” feeling that your everyday college meals typically lack. 

3. Family is forever

The opportunity to meet new people while away at school is amazing, but it’s important to not forget the people that have been there for you through it all.  Thanksgiving break was a reminder that while friends may change, it is your family that you’ll always be able to lean back on. 

4. Things inevitably change while you’re gone

Throughout your four years of high school, you probably felt like you knew everyone and everything.  After coming home to the place I lived for 18 years, it was strange noticing the many things that changed without my knowledge while I was away.  New stores opened, old restaurants closed, and even subtle changes within my own house occurred.  While these new changes felt weird, I realized that it was inevitable that things would appear different after an absence of time.

5. You’ll appreciate going back to school more than you had expected

Thanksgiving was a much needed break, but when my time was over, I was definitely ready to go back.  While saying goodbye to your family, friends, and favorite hometown restaurants might be hard, you’ll start to miss the independent life you have back at school.  As amazing as your break at home might have been, you’ll be ecstatic to be back at your favorite place (The University of Michigan, of course.) 

Images courtesy of Amanda Rudolf and Entertainment Tonight

University of Michigan '21
Em M

U Mich

Em is a senior at the University of Michigan, studying English and Psychology. Go Blue!