Five Midterm Study Breaks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

It’s midterm season again for Wolverines, and we all know what that means: lots of studying. Chances are you’ll want to take (at least!) a couple of study breaks. But don’t use these to Facebook stalk that cute guy you know for the millionth time; try one of these suggestions instead!

One-woman dance party!
After sitting in your room for hours poring over textbooks and notes, it’s good to move your body a little. So wait until your roommate leaves to go study in the UGLi, and then turn on the GaGa, Ke$ha, or whatever jam you prefer and let loose! A great way to give your mind a break while also getting a chance to do all those slightly embarrassing moves you’re not willing to do in public.

Watch that one YouTube video that always makes you laugh
Not just a good a way to rest your mind, but a way to improve your mood, too. A few good laughs will give you a much better attitude for facing a few more hours of intensive reviewing.
Tired of your old laugh-inducing standby? Try looking up “Unicorn After Dentist” or “Marcel the Shell.”

Have a snack
No, don’t get buzzed off another energy drink; give your body some real fuel to keep going.  Try a source of natural sugars like fruit, or a good source of protein like peanut butter or cheese.  Both your mind and your body will thank you.
Combine fruit and peanut butter (and veggies, too!) by making kindergarten favorite “ants on a log”: celery topped with peanut butter and raisins. Nostalgic and delicious!
Take a short nap.
Don’t go for a two-hour event, but something more along the lines of fifteen minutes to half an hour. Set an alarm on your clock or phone so you don’t sleep more than you should. You’ll wake up refreshed and ready to tackle the rest of your notes!

Have a chat
Go in search of your roommate, suitemate, or whoever you can find nearby and have a conversation. You could even call someone on the phone if you’d like. Just get a little human interaction to break up the monotony of all the reading and note-taking. Like the funny YouTube video, this will definitely improve your mood.

Nikki is a senior at the University of Michigan double majoring in English and Communication Studies.  In addition to Her Campus, Nikki is also involved in Ed2010, The Forum-Michigan's Greek Life Newspaper, Alpha Delta Pi, and Gamma Sigma Alpha.  In her spare time, she enjoys being outside, playing guitar, going on bike rides, and traveling.  Her guilty pleasures include celebrity gossip sites, Glee, and chocolate chip cookies.