This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

As mid-September rolls around, you begin to feel the first breeze of cool air, the leaves start to change, and you know it is time to pull out your boots and favoite cozy sweater. Fall fashion is known for layering, flannels, jackets, and scarves, but each year new styles emerge that keep you looking trendy this upcoming season.

Denim Skirts

Pull out your vintage jean skirts from seventh grade because they are making a comeback! Trends are known to circulate and never die. This year, denim skirts are on the rise. Pair one with a chunky sweater for class or with a tight tank to go out at night. And if you are really bold, try denim on denim! Just like regular jeans, jean skirts go with anything and come in different lengths, styles, and washes.

Sneakers

As seen on countless celebrities during New York Fashion Week, any outfit can go with sneakers. They are not only more comfortable than heels or boots, they also add a funky touch to any outfit. You can wear athletic sneakers or style sneakers with any outfit for an effortlessly chic look.

Plaid 

As always, this fall we are going mad for plaid! Plaid tops, skirts, pants, and leggings are all in style – and the best part: they can be found almost anywhere. Pair plaid with something simple to let the pattern stand out.

Turtlenecks

I used to think turtlenecks were only meant for my grandma until I saw them all over the runway this year. They add a sleek vibe to an outfit and will also keep you warm. I like them with A-line skirts or tight skinny jeans. Kendall Jenner paired a gray turtleneck with black leather leggings and a camel vest, looking stylish and young!

Images courtesy of All Fashion Trends, StyleBlazer, StyleBistro, and InStyle.