This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

December is both the beginning of the holiday season and the end of the semester. College students are busy trying to recall what they learned back in September and cramming for finals. At this point in the semester we’re lucky if we remember to grab a coffee that we so desperately need, let alone think about gifts for our friends and family. Lucky for us, there are plenty of simple DIY gifts we can make that won’t break the bank because let’s face it not only did we forget about gifts, but it’s also the end of the semester and we don’t have any money left.

Coffee Cup Candles

If you have an old candle and coffee cup the only thing that you need to buy are the candle wicks! This is a great gift for friends, moms, grandmas anyone really because who doesn’t love candles? To make it you’ll shave down the old candle, melt it down, and pour it in the mug. Quick and easy! For more details, visit here

Hot Cocoa Mix Ornaments

Who doesn’t have hot chocolate mix laying around the house during the winter? This gift involves buying a clear ornament and anything you’d like to add to the hot cocoa mix. However, if you want to go over the top you can get a mug to go with it! This one is self-explanatory you just have to fill up the ornament with whatever you want to make the hot chocolate with! To get ideas on what to mix in with the hot cocoa mix, check this out. 

Decorated Mugs and Planting Plots

If you have a plant lover or coffee/tea lover in your life this gift is for them! Personalize a cup/pot just for them by using oil based sharpies and stencils! You can use regular sharpies too, but you’ll have to bake it in the oven so it won’t rinse off. Click here for more instructions.

Bath Bombs

Bath bombs have been all the rage this year, but are quite pricey. However, you can make them with ingredients found around the house! To get it in its circular form you don’t need to go buy a mold, people have been cutting tennis balls in half and have found that those work too! Click here for instructions.

These are just a few of many quick, cheap, and easy things you can make at home that would make a great gift this holiday season as well. If none of these suit the person you’re looking for search Pinterest.com for more DIY gift ideas.

Images and ideas courtesy of: Pinterest, abeautifulmess.typepad.com, diycandy.com, bubblynaturecreations.com, and sweetcayenne.com