A Definitive Ranking of Pop-Star Christmas Albums

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Don’t get me wrong, I love a little Bing Crosby and Michael Buble as much as the next gal — but the Christmas classics can get real old, real quick. For that reason, I bring you my definitive ranking of pop-star Christmas albums, filled with recs for non-traditional, more modern Christmas hits sure to spice up your Spotify this holiday season. 

5. The Kacey Musgraves Christmas Show — Kacey Musgraves

If you like your Christmas mixed with a little country, then this is the album for you. Released in 2019, Kacey Musgraves’ holiday album combines some of the most nostalgic classics with fresh, original hits that make you feel all warm and cozy inside. My personal favorite track on the album, which I’ve had on repeat for a solid week now, is “Glittery,” her collab with Australian singer-songwriter Troye Sivan. 

4. Wrapped in Red — Kelly Clarkson

I might be biased, but ever since her American Idol days I’ve believed that Kelly Clarkson can do no wrong. Her holiday album is no exception to that, as its stacked full with belty bop after belty bop. An often underrated celebrity Christmas album, Wrapped in Red is the perfect sing-along, making it great tree-decorating music. If you really want to get hyped for the holidays, listen to “Underneath the Tree,” which has quickly become one of my all-time favorite Christmas songs!

3. Everyday is Christmas — Sia

Sia has been one of my go-to artists since middle school, so when I heard she was coming out with a Christmas album last year you can only imagine my excitement. Everyday is Christmas is like no holiday album I’ve ever heard. Every song is completely original (she even sings about puppies!) and every song truly makes me want to get up and dance. It’s so festive that “Ho Ho Ho” had me shoulder shimmy-ing my way into the UGLi yesterday morning. If that doesn’t convince you to give it a listen, I don’t know what will. 

2. The Best of Pentatonix Christmas — Pentatonix

Do you like a capella? Do you like Christmas? If you answered “yes” to those questions, then it’s obvious what you need to be listening to. Just this year, Pentatonix blessed us with The Best of Pentatonix Christmas, compiling all of their favorite, most awe-inspiring holiday singles into one album. “Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy” transports me right back to my years and years of performing in the Nutcracker and “Carol of the Bells” gives me chills every single time I listen. Do us all a favor and put this album on shuffle for your next walk to class — just be warned that you’ll be stuck humming the songs in your head for hours after. 

1. Christmas & Chill — Ariana Grande

This may be the only Christmas album that is truly acceptable to listen to year-round. On Christmas & Chill, Ariana does something I didn’t even know was possible: make Christmas sexy. This album is the perfect playlist for cozying up by the fire (or a 12-hour loop of a crackling fireplace on YouTube, in my case) with a cup of hot cocoa. Seriously, every single track on this album is a total bop, and my only complaint is that I wish it were longer.

Happy listening!  

Images courtesy of U Discover Music, Amazon, and Wikipedia

Hi, my name is Morgan Rubino! At UMich, I'm studying Communication and Media Studies with minors in Business and Writing. When I'm not napping my life away, I'm usually either watching reality TV, dancing, listening to podcasts or on the hunt for the best iced hazelnut latte in Ann Arbor.
I'm Melanie Stamelman, a junior at the University of Michigan. I am the Campus Correspondent of UMich's chapter of Her Campus and am incredibly passionate about lifestyle journalism.  I follow the news and lifestyle trends, and am a self-proclaimed Whole Foods, spin obsessed wacko.  Thanks for reading xoxo.