This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

After a few months of doing anything but attending prolonged lectures and enduring painfully dull discussion sessions, the weather has been kind enough to avoid turning into something grey and bitter as we return to yet another year of academic prestige. Another Welcome Week, football season, and renewed craving for Starbucks is upon us, not to mention routine reminders of who’s turning heads on campus.

Soon-to-be General Biology Major, Dane Vanderkaay, finds that there is no such thing as “the average girl”. “I really think every girl has something different to offer. To me there’s no way any two girls could ever be considered the same, so I’d challenge the notion of ‘the average girl’”.

Dane’s Hobbies Include: Hunting, hiking, and beach volleyball

Favorite Quote: “But do let me reiterate the spirit of Michigan. It is based upon a deathless loyalty to Michigan and all her ways; an enthusiasm that makes it second nature for Michigan men to spread the gospel of their university to the world’s distant outposts; a conviction that nowhere is there a better university, in any way, than this Michigan of ours.” –Fielding Yost

Q: What do you look for in a girl?
A: Someone who is hardworking, with a great sense of humor, and is down to earth. I like the North Campus girls.

Q: What’s your idea of the perfect date?
A: Something out of the ordinary. I’m a fan of spontaneity.

Q: What works for you when it comes to girls?
A: I would have to say just being honest and confident, whether it’s a night at Ricks or looking for a long-term relationship.

Q: What would you say are your drawbacks when it comes to women?
A: Since I grew up with three older brothers I might be out of touch with female emotions. I might not always understand “girl problems.”

Q: What are your favorite TV shows and/or video games?
A: I don’t watch much TV, but I play Mario cars and Nintendo 64 with my roommate.

Q: Name your favorite, most comfortable attire.
A: Rainbow sandals, khaki shorts, and any basic t-shirt

Q: What do you believe is the key to a girl’s heart?
A: I’d say giving them lots of attention, turning to sympathy when the time calls for it, and offering plenty of cuddling.

Nikki is a senior at the University of Michigan double majoring in English and Communication Studies.  In addition to Her Campus, Nikki is also involved in Ed2010, The Forum-Michigan's Greek Life Newspaper, Alpha Delta Pi, and Gamma Sigma Alpha.  In her spare time, she enjoys being outside, playing guitar, going on bike rides, and traveling.  Her guilty pleasures include celebrity gossip sites, Glee, and chocolate chip cookies.