toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Conquering Erebus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

This past Saturday marks the day that I finally was brave enough to conquer Erebus. For those of you who aren’t from Michigan, Erebus is the nation’s largest haunted house conveniently located in Pontiac. I had no idea what Erebus was until my fellow Michiganders couldn’t stop raving about it.

Usually, I am so lame with scary stuff. I will rarely see a scary movie willingly and Universal Studios Halloween Horror nights was basically my limit, so you could see how choosing to go to Erebus was a bit of a surprise. Even though I was low-key forced into going, it was a really cool experience.

Other than the long line you have to wait in, Erebus starts off with a video where everything goes awry. Then, it being the largest haunted house in the nation, you have to go through four different floors of unbelievably frightening rooms.

In my opinion, the ball pit room was by far the scariest. I would definitely not recommend it for people with claustrophobia. Basically, what it is, is that you are standing in a room alone and all of a sudden plastic balls start dropping from above and it accumulates to the point where you feel like you’re being buried alive. It’s pretty horrifying.

Another terrible room is the one mimicking a swamp. You’re basically standing in a marshy room and all of a sudden intense fog starts coming out of the walls. Before you know it, your legs are being grabbed as you almost fall into the fog.

Other than these frightening experiences it was really fun. It definitely is not a long-lasting nightmare type of scare, but is more pop out in your face. I would 100 percent recommend it to anybody who is down to take on the challenge.

Images Courtesy of: Erebus and Theme Park University

Em M

U Mich

Em is a senior at the University of Michigan, studying English and Psychology. Go Blue!