Campus Safety: The Spooky Scaries Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Halloween has arrived! In its honor, here is another reminder about campus safety, because you can never have too many! So pull on your costumes, grab a friend, and fill up your fanny pack with all these night-out essentials to keep the scaries away. 

1. Personal Self-Defense Alarm 

Sabre Personal Alarm: $7.93

Pulling the pin will trigger an alarm that can be heard from 600 feet away, and is used to signal to others nearby that you are not okay. (Also, it supports the National Breast Cancer Foundation!) Comes in a pretty color that is sure to match any outfit.

2. Pepper Spray

Sabre Pepper Spray: $7.99

Pepper spray that looks like a tube of lipstick? How adorably convenient! But if you don’t want to splurge on this trusty little device, then realistically there are an infinite amount of options to distract an attacker. Grab a small spray bottle of hairspray, perfume, water, Febreeze, etc. The possibilities are limitless! 

3. Sword

2 Pack Wooden Swords: $23.97

It doesn’t matter what you are for Halloween. Somehow figure out how to incorporate this wooden sword into your costume. You shouldn’t underestimate the utility of such a sword to fend off would-be attackers. Create a makeshift belt, stick it in your sock or up your skirt, it doesn’t matter! You need this. 

4. Date Rape Drug Drink Test

Heatwave Date Rape Drug Detection Kit: $6.99

In the event that you put your drink down or leave it otherwise unattended, consider getting these drug drink test strips to check that nobody slipped date rape drugs into your drink. Just whip out this kit like its the trendiest new party trick, because safety is always sexy.

5. Key 

SOG Keychain Mini Knife: $7.97

So many apartments and houses have become much fancier by using electronic passes to enter the premises. But never forget the usefulness of the old-school key. If you are in need of one for self-defense, then consider this key that also doubles as a pocket-knife. 

6. Katana Safety Arc

Katana Safety Arc: $99.99

This device can be attached to your smartphone and provides three options for safety. First, it can siren a piercing alarm to be used as a distress signal. Second, if an audible alarm is inopportune, there is a discreet silent alert button. Both these alarms will contact the Katana 24/7 Response Center, and they will then contact the police or your family and friends. Third, a button on the device can immediately send your location to up to seven of your contacts. A pricey investment, but definitely worthwhile. 

7. Bread Crumbs

365 Everyday Value Breadcrumbs: $2.89

If all else fails, might I suggest breadcrumbs? Irregardless of whether you decide to be Hansel or Gretel for Halloween, dropping breadcrumbs as you enjoy your night will ensure that your friends (and perhaps even the authorities) will be able to find you afterwards.

8.  Self-Defense Classes

Lastly, please consider completing self-defense classes. These classes are not only useful for their physical defense tips, such as possible moves or weakness spots in your attacker, but also mentally prepares you for an attack. Being mentally unprepared is perhaps the most detrimental to escaping safely, and as such, these classes mitigate this by making you more aware of how to react in a scary situation. 

Overall my intention was not to ridicule personal safety on campus, because this is of utmost importance, particularly on a night out under the influence of alcohol or other substances. Rather, I wanted to highlight the extraordinary lengths many women need to pursue to ensure that they stay safe. This places an incredibly unfair burden on women who just want to relax and have a fun time, and who instead must always be aware of her surroundings and possessions. Although at any time a girl may carry any of the aforementioned items around campus, there is a level of absurdity to have to fill your fanny pack with all the items. Ideally, none of this would be necessary. 

Images courtesy of amazon.com and audiojungle.net

Alison Lo

U Mich '21

Talk to me about Yelp, Colourpop and bullet journaling!