This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Buck West is a junior at the University of Michigan, from Pinckney, MI, studying Biomolecular Science (BMS). Last year, he tried out and walked on the Michigan Football team. With his first season nearly halfway over, I asked Buck some questions about his experience on the team and what it is like to be one of the “boys of fall” that we all so eagerly gather to watch on Saturdays at The Big House.

Her Campus: What was your experience like trying out for the Michigan Football team?

Buck West: My experience was both exciting and tense. I had no idea what to expect, but I prayed to God and he helped me perform well, which led to me earning a spot on the team.

HC: How has walking on to the team shaped you as a person?

BW: As a person, the tryout has given me even more faith in God and made me more confident in my abilities and showed that hard work can get you many places in life.

HC: In what ways has playing Division I athletics and being a student been hard for you? How do you overcome these challenges?

BW: Playing Division I athletics is a huge time commitment and limits time for activities other than studies and football. Time management has been the largest struggle. I overcame the challenges by being committed to the hectic lifestyle and embracing the longterm payoff for my efforts.

HC: What has been your favorite game this season? 

BW: I enjoyed the first game against Hawaii because the energy was so immense from the excitement of the crowd that it buzzed inside of me. It was also my first time touching the banner at the Big House.

HC: Who do you think is the biggest jokester on the team?

BW: In my opinion, Ian Bunting is the biggest jokester. He can always put a smile on your face.

HC: What do you feel makes Michigan Football great?

BW: Michigan football is great because the passion for being the best is always at the utmost importance and it is expected at all times. We maintain a large chain of tradition and the team is filled to the brim with great human beings, as well as high caliber athletes.

HC: Tell us about the experience of having Larry Prout Jr., a boy from your hometown and high school, signed onto the team.

BW: Larry is the biggest blessing we could have asked for. I am at all loss of words to explain how excited I am to share a locker room with such an awesome, enduring, and genuine person like Larry. We will get to share so many things together and he’s always ready to get excited at any moment. It only makes it better that he is from my hometown.

HC: What is your best memory at Michigan?

BW: My best memories are meeting my beloved Kaitlyn DeGrace and meeting great kids at C.S. Mott children’s hospital.

Image courtesy of Buck West.

Ashley Preston is a Junior majoring in Communication Studies. She enjoys college football more than the average girl and hopes to someday work in the field of college sports. Ashley is currently a communications intern at the Michigan Athletic Department. Her favorite food is popcorn and she loves to spend her summers camping with family. Follow her on twitter @aprezt0n or on Insta @anpresto!