This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Are You Aware This October?

It’s October. The month when campus trees shed red and gold leaves, when the September warmth begins to dissipate and then completely disappear. It’s the month of midterms and academic hustling. And it’s the month of breast cancer awareness.

Did you know that a woman is diagnosed with breast cancer every 2 minutes, and that a woman dies of breast cancer every 13 (2015)? I certainly didn’t- but that is why October is devoted to fact sharing and pink wearing. Since 1995, foundations devoted to breast cancer have intensified their work to inform women in countries across the globe. We have the opportunity to expose ourselves to facts and figures, to promote our personal health in an informed way, and to contribute to a cause that is stunningly widespread.

The University of Michigan has its very own Breast Oncology Program led by Daniel Hayes, M.D. and Sofia Merajver, M.D., Ph.D. Professionals there are working to evaluate and treat current cases and to develop preventative medicine. They are studying genes that may be correlated with breast cancer development, as well as new drugs and treatments that may be used to supplement or replace the old.

With all of the information and resources at our fingertips, I wonder how aware we really are. We dress in pink in October, but do we understand the depth of this action? Do we, as women, take advantage of these resources and educate ourselves on breast cancer? Do we support our health and the health of other women?

I spoke with a few women to gauge the general level of awareness on campus. While all of the collegiates that I spoke with knew to check for a lump in the breast, few knew much beyond that. When asked about her general knowledge of the topic, Cyndi ’19 admitted that she knew that breast cancer is the leading form of cancer among women, but “not that much the more I think about it”. Out of three, only one collegiate, Hannah ’20, knew that birth control does not affect your risk for breast cancer. She remembered “learning in health something about a myth whether it does or doesn’t”.

It seems that women who have been directly affected by breast cancer are more knowledgeable about the disease. Nicole ’18 knows that breast cancer tends can be genetic (fact: but is usually not) and has a higher rate of incidence later in life. Two of her friends passed away from the disease. Anna ’18 explained that, “My godmother had it, which spiked my interest. I ran a half marathon for her because she passed away from it.” A close relationship with breast cancer affects a woman’s perception of the disease. However, it is so important for women across the board to be aware and informed.  

Here are some facts courtesy of my gynecologist mother: Breast cancer is typically diagnosed in older women (aged 50+). It tends to be asymptomatic- the lump will usually not be palpable until the cancer is very advanced. Women should start seeing a gynecologist at age 16 and go for their first mammogram at age 40. Mammograms will show miniscule calcifications that you would not be able to feel through a self-exam. Because women with the BRCA gene have a 90% lifetime risk of getting breast cancer, while the general female population has a 12% risk (1 in 8 women), they should be monitored closely and much earlier than the usual 40-year mark.

It is so important for women to be aware of the risks they face, how they can best maintain their health, and what the screening options are. If you have any questions, don’t be afraid to reach out to the many resources on campus and online. Educate yourself- your health and wellness is a priority. This is the month to become aware and to support women who have been affected by breast cancer. For the rest of October, let’s wear pink with intention.

Citations

“Breast Cancer Facts – National Breast Cancer Foundation.” National Breast Cancer Foundation. National Breast Cancer Foundation, Inc., 2015. Web. 19 Oct. 2016.

Photo Courtesy of The Huffington Post.

Lauren is a spiritual, sarcastic science-geek from just outside of Philadelphia, PA. She studies cellular & molecular biology with a minor in writing at the University of Michigan. She's been labeled an "old soul" but can also demonstrate a lack of adult-like qualities. When she's not furiously taking notes in a lecture hall or blogging, you might find her practicing yoga, being unproductive with her roommates, reading, drawing, or meditating. Or watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer with a big bag of popcorn in her lap. Or looking at pictures of her dogs and wishing that her parents would ship them to Ann Arbor.