This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

As someone who loves coffee, Ann Arbor has been a great place to live. But with so many great coffee shops it can be hard to choose where to go. Here’s my list of some of the shops I’ve tried and if they’re worth your money or not! 

Misfit Society Coffee Club 

I’ve decided to start with my absolute favorite place in Ann Arbor. I’ve only been twice but it is the ultimate coffee shop and sweet treat place for me. Their Sugar Daddy drink is to die for! It is a latte with brown sugar syrup, and I ordered it with almond milk. If you are to try any place in Ann Arbor, this is the one to go for! The prices are average, and the shop is a nice place to talk with friends or do homework in. The vibe and decor are also cool while being a bit chaotic, which I love.  

Bitty & Beau’s Coffee  

My first and only visit here was in the winter, so of course I had to get an iced peppermint mocha. I would say it was one of the best peppermint mochas I’ve had in my life. The service was great, and it was a good size for the price. It does happen to be a little far from central campus, like ten minutes, which I think is why I’ve never been back. I would recommend trying Bitty & Beau’s though. The vibe is also great, being calm and on the quieter side.  

Comet Coffee 

Comet Coffee is a popular spot in Ann Arbor. The vibe when stepping in is great. It’s very comforting and is a nice place to chat with friends. However, I did not particularly enjoy the mocha I got when I visited. It is one of their specialty drinks, but I honestly think most chains do a better job. I think Comet Coffee is a good shop for the experience, but I would probably never go again, nor would I recommend it as a must for others. It is also not a great spot to go if you want to do any homework, it’s fairly small and usually a bit loud.  

Ann Arbor Coffee Roasting Company  

Now this is one of my favorite places to grab coffee in Ann Arbor! Their sizes and prices are normal, which is great for a small shop. I have gone three times and each time I tried something new. A latte, a cold brew, and a cappuccino, all with vanilla, and all were amazing. They do have a hefty upcharge for almond milk, but a lot of small places do so I usually let that slide. The vibe in the cafe is also great. I love going there to study, but I will say it is usually hard to find a spot. I would 100% recommend going here if you are debating trying! 

Lab Cafe 

This is another well-loved coffee shop in Ann Arbor that I just can’t get behind. Maybe I went on an off day or ordered a bad drink, but I really don’t think Lab Cafe is worth a visit. I ordered a medium iced vanilla latte, my go-to coffee order, and it was the size of a Starbucks small. I also think it was $7, which is insane! It had a terrible aftertaste, and the cafe was so small and loud that I at once wanted to leave after getting my drink. Maybe I had the one bad experience though because I have friends that swear by Lab Cafe, but from my standpoint, I would never go again. 

Argus Farm Stop – Packard Cafe 

Argus Farm Stop is definitely a slept-on coffee spot. I’ve only been once, but it was one of my favorite cups of coffee I’ve had in Ann Arbor! I got a hot latte with honey (I rarely get hot drinks mind you) and it was delicious! The shop is also quite large and very comfy. Argus Farms also has a great mission of bringing farmer’s foods from all over Ann Arbor to one shop. All their flavorings are from local farmers and are great! I always think about going again, but it’s quite a walk from where I live and a bit pricey. I recommend Argus to everyone I know though and I hope to go again soon. Definitely in my top three places in Ann Arbor.  

Dunkin’ Donuts 

This happens to be a chain coffee spot, but I had to include it because it’s one of my favorites and we just got one in downtown Ann Arbor. I highly recommend getting the app because there are so many great deals if you have a coffee addiction like me and want to go multiple days in a week without breaking the bank. I always get an iced coffee with a French vanilla swirl and almond milk. It’s delicious and I highly recommend it! If you are looking for a place to study and drink coffee though, Dunkin’ is not the move, the shop is tiny and not a sit-down place. However, their prices are great if you want a quick coffee trip to start your day. 

Ann Arbor has so many more coffee shops and one day I will go to them all, but for now these are my top suggested and highly recommended skips! 

Studying political science as a freshman at the University of Michigan. Passionate about running, baking, reading murder mysteries, and fashion.