A Beginner’s Guide to Getting a Tattoo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Are you thinking about getting a tattoo? If so, congrats! Welcome to the dark side – literally. While an exciting process, getting your first tattoo can be daunting – especially if you rush into it. Even if you think you’re ready to get inked, you might be surprised by how unprepared you are when the time comes. Here are some key questions you should ask yourself before making the commitment:

1. Do you want this tattoo for the rest of your life?

This is probably the most important question to ask yourself. Tattoos are forever, so ask yourself: How in love am I with this design? Will I ever get sick of it? Once you feel solid about your choice, wait 6 to 12 months. Then ask yourself if you still love the tattoo design. This will provide you with perspective on your tattoo choice as you grow as a person.

2. Is it too big?

Don’t get me wrong, sleeves look absolutely bomb. However, a first tattoo is a huge commitment. I recommend starting small before choosing a large design because you don’t truly know how you’ll feel about your tattoo until you have it, so take a cautious approach. Small tattoos are also easier to clean and take care of! The less maintenance, the better.

3. Are you being a minimalist?

Tattoos with intricate designs can look very cool, but first timers should side with the minimalist approach. The simpler it is, the less likely you are to get sick of it. Simple, clean lined tattoos are also super in right now. Join the trend!

4. Are you considering your future?

Even though society has evolved to be more accepting of body art, there is still a stigma around tattoos. It is a very valid concern to be worried about how having a tattoo may impact others’ perceptions of you in certain situations and environments. Many professional fields still project an antitattoo vibe. While it’s important to look professional for your upcoming job interviews, internships, and future careers, you also don’t want that pressure to compromise who you are. This is where location becomes a critical aspect. Think about what you may be wearing in a professional environment – A skirt? A blazer? Where could you place your tattoo so that it is discrete? I suggest areas on your torso or thighs because your business attire will always cover up these areas. Some cute spots to consider are upper back, upper thigh, hip, ribs, and one of my favorites: the left wrist (which you can easily cover it up with a watch).

Asking yourself these four questions should give you a better idea of how ready you are to commit to your first ink! Hopefully this thought process will help you reduce the chance of feeling any regret over your tattoo’s design, size, and location. While this list of questions is centered around the idea of choosing a tattoo design, the list doesn’t stop here. After you’ve decided on the exact tattoo you’re getting, the next questions you should ask yourself concern tattoo shops and pain tolerance. Make sure you do your research! Finding a reputable tattoo shop and knowing how much pain to expect is super important. These two aspects can make or break your tattoo experience.

Alexa Di Luca is transfer student at the University of Michigan, studying communications.