This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Here at the University of Michigan, we take pride in our ability to “work hard and play hard”. No one embodies this motto better than guard on the men’s basketball team, Andrew Dakich. Even at the reveal of the new Jordan basketball jerseys–an event with big names such as DJ Khaled and Jalen Rose–Dakich was able to steal the show by busting out some hilariously ridiculous dance moves.

Her Campus was able to sit down and get the inside scoop on the grind of Andrew Dakich. Who would pass up the opportunity to talk to the dude who had just been the star of the show at the coolest uniform unveiling of all time? (Not to mention that he’s a pretty dope basketball player.) Plus, Michigan basketball season is just a couple short months away and we’re all more than ready to start hearing about it.

Her Campus: Other than playing basketball, what’s your favorite thing about going to school at the University of Michigan?

Andrew Dakich: I like Saturdays for football games. All the student athletes getting together and going to the Big House is kind of amazing. And food around here! There are a lot of good places on South U, State Street, and Main Street.  

HC: What’s the biggest difference between your collegiate basketball career and your dad’s?  Do you guys talk discuss those differences?

AD: No, we don’t really discuss it. His was a lot more old-school than mine. I mean he was in the 80s. Basketball in Indiana is kind of a religion as football is here, so I think it was probably bigger. He came in after they won the national championship, so it kind of was a unique situation for him. But I think it was more fan-oriented than it is here.

HC: How often do you get recognized by random people?

AD: Not too often. I’m not really that tall, so I kind of blend in. But here and there. I’ll say roughly one person a day.  

HC: How has the team changed since you were a freshman, and how will the freshmen this year affect the way the season plays out?

AD: It has changed a lot. For every college student, you kind of grow up and you see yourself develop. For instance, we take these before and after pictures with all weight gaining and things like that, getting stronger, and drills you may have not been able to pass and now you’re passing them. And that’s a huge difference because the game was so much faster than it is now. But the freshmen have adjusted really well. I’m actually really excited about this freshman class. I think they’re going to have to play a lot so they’re going to be a huge step in order for us to succeed.

HC: What would you tell potential rising freshmen about Michigan?

AD: Enjoy the process. It goes by way too fast, picking different schools. If you’re just going for school, if you’re going for a sport like basketball, just know what you want. Know the coaches and players on and off the court, and get a feel for campus life because I think that was a very big asset for my decision to come here.  

HC: What is your favorite three-point celebration you’ve ever done?

AD: Probably the dice roll. I’ll just pretend I’m rolling dice and pull up the three. That’s my go-to, if I have one.

HC: What is the loudest Crisler has ever gotten?

AD: My freshman year against Michigan State. We were both ranked I believe the top fifteen, if not the top ten, and it was a huge rivalry game. I just remember I couldn’t even talk to the person next to me. It was one of the most incredible atmospheres I’ve ever been a part of.

HC: How sick are the new jerseys?

AD: They’re really sick. They’re really tight, so it looks good on some people and looks bad on some people. But, no, they’re really cool. I think Jordan did an incredible job giving us this great opportunity to wear to their brand. I’m looking forward to wearing them in front of Crisler and other arenas.

HC: Who’s the best dancer on the team?

AD: I gotta say myself!  I’ve got to self-proclaim that. But if I couldn’t say myself, probably Muhammad. Muhammad Ali Abdur-Rahkman. He’s got some moves that bring some Philly swag to it, so he’s pretty good as well.

Between the unveiling of the new jerseys and this interview with Dakich, I couldn’t be more excited for basketball season to get here already!  I already know that the team, especially Dakich, will have plenty of opportunities for celebration–and this time, in Jordan jerseys!

Images courtesy of: Detroit News, MLive, Big Ten Network, Detroit Free Press, MGoBlog

Hannah is an editorial intern for Her Campus and the editor of the High School section as well as a chapter writer for the University of Michigan. Achievements include being voted "Biggest Belieber" (2010) and "Most Likely to Have a Child Born Addicted to Starbucks" (2016), as well as taking a selfie with the back of Jim Harbaugh's head.  Goals for the future include taking a selfie with the front of Jim Harbaugh's head.  She's also an obsessive Instagrammer, so hit her with a follow @hannah.harshe