person taking photo of pants and shoes
person taking photo of pants and shoes
SHTTEFAN/Unsplash

Alex Stubbs: Foodie of Ann Arbor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

The students, the athletes, the games, the spirit, the team, but most importantly, the food. We all love Ann Arbor for a different reason, but let’s be real, who isn’t obsessed with the food here? Other schools pride themselves on their fast food chains, hometown diners, or mediocre brunch spots. Here, at Michigan, we’ve literally got. it. all. Here at Her Campus, we wanted to know more about the amazingness that is the Ann Arbor Food Scene, so we sought out Ann Arbor foodie, Alex Stubbs.

Year: Senior    

Major: Business

Hometown: Mountain Lakes, NJ

Fun Fact: She ski raced competitively through high school – oh, and she also went abroad to Florence last semester (aka AMAZING food)

Her Campus: What do you think makes the Ann Arbor food scene so unique?

Alex Stubbs: I think the Ann Arbor food scene is so unique because of the demographic that exists here. The student population is large and also diverse in that students come from all over the country. Professors also live in the area, and families live in the greater Ann Arbor area and typically frequent downtown for meals. Having all of these groups of people increases the demand for a trendy and diverse food scene. Lastly, without a strong city close by, Ann Arbor has become a destination for people all over southeast Michigan. That is not to say that Detroit is not growing and getting stronger, but for a long time it was less of a destination for families and for younger people.

HC: When did you start your food Instagram?

AS: I started my food Instagram in the summer of 2015 while I was living in Ann Arbor and testing out all the different food scenes.

HC: What is your favorite thing about trying new food and new restaurants?

AS: My favorite part of trying out new food scenes is the experience of it. I love having an enthusiastic partner with me to try a new place. I also loving when the vibes of the restaurant correlate to the menu and to the people, and it becomes a total sensory experience, not just a tasteful one.

HC: Top three restaurants that people MUST go to in AA?

AS: My three favorite restaurants in Ann Arbor include Aventura (top by far), Pacific Rim (their sablefish is some of the best seafood I’ve ever had), and The Jolly Pumpkin (the steak salad and lamb burger are to die for.)

HC: Top three brunch places?

AS: As for brunch, I think juicy kitchen is the most interesting and unique of the brunch spots (and one of my favorites). Next would be Cafe Zola — their open faced omelets, waffles, and, basically, their whole menu takes traditional brunch to an elevated level. My third suggestion for brunch would be Angelo’s. I think they do the classics, like omelets or corned beef hash, really well.

Follow Alex on Instagram @eatingwithalex

I'm a Freshman at the University of Michigan! I am in LSA and am planning on being a Psychology and Communications major.