This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

This week, Her Campus had the opportunity to sit down senior Aaron Dombey, a musician who is about to release his first EP.

Hometown: Caracas, Venezuela and then Miami, Florida.

Major: Information

Fun Fact: When I was in 4th grade, I used to put on a do-rag and rap along to Eminem’s ‘The Eminem Show’ CD

Her Campus: How Did you Get involved in Music?

Aaron Dombey: My dad was a musician and a great piano player and a composer. When I was three, my parents put me into piano lessons, and when I was 11 I started playing guitar.

HC:  What kind of music do you generally listen to?

AD: I listen to a lot of everything: rap, indie, jazz, blues, folk music. I go through phases where I’ll get really into a genre. Right now, I’m really into hip-hop and folk music. 

HC: When did you start writing your own music?

AD: I started writing my own music probably when I was around 12. I was inspired by my first crush and decided to write a song about her.

HC: Did she know?

AD: Yeah, she absolutely knew. She’s coming to Ann Arbor this weekend–we’re best friends now.

HC: That’s awesome! Do you have any upcoming events?

Yeah, I am playing at the Blind Pig on Thursday, and I’m hoping that my first EP will be released in the next two weeks. I spent about a year writing the music for it and wrote about 25 songs. I’ll probably only release about 5 of them, though. I started recording the music in my bedroom with some equipment I bought. It’s my own little project. At one point, I had a whole thing recorded and just decided it wasn’t very good, so I threw it away, but now I’m really committed to the new songs.

Check out one of Aaron’s singles, “Fire (I’m Not Into You)” here: https://soundcloud.com/dombeymusic/fire-im-not-you