The 7 Things You Should Do in Ann Arbor Before it Gets Too Cold

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Autumn in Ann Arbor is like nothing else I can think of besides a perfect, fleeting romance. Everyone and everything just seems happier, and you’re rocking a sweet jean jacket ensemble. The air is brisk, the leaves are brilliant red, and everything is wonderful—until, alas, it’s over before you know it, and you’re waving goodbye to your star-crossed love as it disappears into a mountain of snow. Classic Romeo and Juliet story, right?

So you get it. Autumn in AA is amazing but it lasts for about 10 minutes until it turns into winter. But there are so many ways to take advantage of it before it’s over. Here are the 7 most important things to do before it gets cold outside.

1.     Explore Main Street/East Liberty area. When it gets cold, you might just be satisfied going to the same old places on South U (not that there’s anything wrong with a little Sadako a few times a week), so make the trek and check out all those places that people have been encouraging you to try. Go to a thrift shop and find the sickest flannel available for sale, then get coffee at a place besides Starbucks.

2.     Go running in the Arb. Or jogging. Or just put on workout clothes and walk there. Or meditate. Or sit on a bench and Instagram the view. Really—it’s fine.

3.     Sit outside Charley’s (or anywhere with outdoor seating, really) and watch everyone. Fishbowl or no fishbowl, there is nothing better than the feeling of cool air on your skin as you watch passersby not as relaxed as you are.

4.     Figure out the bus system. This is mostly for freshmen, but if you’re planning on ever taking the bus (you eventually will, because walking home from a party at night in -11 degree weather is not that pleasant) you’ll want to get it together before it gets too cold. That way, if you mess up and miss the bus, you can just walk it—no harm, no foul.

5.     Find the perfect fracket (frat jacket). Going out in the winter means one of three things: stashing your nice winter coat in a cabinet in some frat and running the risk of someone else taking it home, walking around without a jacket (which is just silly), or rocking a fracket. The perfect fracket must not only be semi-warm, but inexpensive and easily replaceable in case some other girl likes it better than her own. (It happens.) Start looking!

6.     Sip iced coffee like there’s no tomorrow. Do it wearing sunglasses. There will be a point in the near future that you will not even want to think about drinking anything with ice in it. Bring it to class so everyone knows you’re fabulous.

7.     Chill outside somewhere. Anywhere. Do your homework on a bench in the Law Quad. Sit in Palmer Field and watch people play sports. Put up a hammock between two trees in the Diag, if that’s your thing. Basically, just find some grass and sit on it, because it’s going away, fast. 

8.     Football. Do I even need to justify this? Start pregaming at 9 am, go to the game, stand up the entire time, wear a backwards hat and a fanny pack, take a million pictures. Have your friends come to stay with you from other schools; show off how awesome Michigan is and make them want to transfer. It’s only right. Now go get out there – time is of the essence!

Photo: http://lauragrai.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/img_0013.jpg?w=1000&h=1000

Alex Weiner is a senior at the University of Michigan who loves typography, social media, dogs, and strong coffee. She divides her time (and love) between Miami, FL, where she was born and raised, and Ann Arbor, MI, where she is currently pretending that the cold doesn't bother her at all.