7 Packing List Items for Spring Break in the South

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Whether you are next to board a flight to Mexico or exploring all that Siesta Key has to offer, spring break is soon and there is much to be done. As I pack up my things in the largest suitcase I can find, there is nothing I need more than a detailed packing list to get me ready for a week full of R&R. My nails are freshly painted and I have hit Briarwood Mall more than once to find everything I need. Though my cruise to the Bahamas does not leave for a few more days, I am anxiously awaiting the sun and the sandy beaches by planning out everything I am going to bring to make this break the best one yet.

1. New Bikinis — Victoria’s Secret may no longer be selling their iconic swimwear, but that is no excuse to settle for last year’s trends. Target’s swimsuit collection seems to be growing every year, not to mention the dozens of online sites that offer numerous styles that will almost definitely have a suit for you. Last summer, I found a basic American flag bikini perfect for the Fourth of July. Try sites like Venus or Triangl for your next swimsuit upgrade. Even if they will not arrive in time for break, they will be perfect for the warm days that will hit Michigan in a few months.

2. Sunblock and/or tanning oil — If you are anything like me, you will need a paint-brush to lather up on the sunscreen. With skin as fair as mine, the countless hours of sun, especially somewhere south, can be extremely harmful. My go-to sunscreen is a bottle of Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration Lotion, SPF 30. This brand not only gives me good coverage, but it smells great too. And for when I do get too much sun, their Coconut Papaya After Sun Lotion does a great job soothing my skin. My bottles are already packed, right next to my floppy sun hat.

3. Aviator sunglasses — Whether the sun is behind the clouds or bright overhead, a good pair of sunglasses is essential for spring break. From hiking to lounging out by the pool, you can never go wrong with a cool pair of aviators. Ray-Ban makes multiple durable styles with many color options to choose from. They are available online or in department stores like Macy’s or Nordstrom. If you are looking for something a little less expensive try Marshalls or TJ Maxx. Not only can you find stylish sunglasses from good brands, but buying them at one of these department stores will save you some money, too.

4. Vitamin C — Though the sun will absolutely supply you with enough Vitamin D to last the rest of the winter, there are countless germs when you travel, so it is always good to boost your immune system. I started taking Airborne Immune Support with a blast of Vitamin D a few weeks ago so I can stay healthy, especially on the airplane. The most important thing is to wash your hands periodically and to be careful of those around you. Hand sanitizer is not a bad idea either.

5. Strappy sandals — While a comfortable pair of flip-flops is my go to for any type of warm weather, I decided to mix it up this spring break. I packed a pair of Michael Kors wedges with two big buckles along the sides to spice up my evening outfits in the Bahamas. Though I will most likely end up sporting my J. Crew criss cross sandals to explore the island, there is something special about switching to a fancier pair of shoes for the night. Gladiator sandals have become extremely popular in the past few years—a purchase you will not regret.

6. Waterproof mascara — Though I have never been one to vouch for any type of waterproof makeup, simply because it is harder to take off, when warm weather and pool water are in our near futures, waterproof mascara is perfect for keeping your favorite makeup trends all throughout the day. Keeping eye makeup on my face, in any weather is a challenge. Knowing I will be sweating in the sun in a few shorts days, I picked up a tube of CoverGirl Lash Blast Waterproof Volume Mascara. The brush is great for getting all of my lashes and stays on well no matter what I am doing. I cannot wait to try it out while exploring Atlantis.

7. High-waisted shorts — The ever-changing world of fashion is a funny thing. Though we shamed high-waisted shorts early on in the 2000s, they have made their way back into style over the past few years. Last week, I made a trip to Express and left with two high waisted pairs of shorts: one pair of white denim and one pair of gray denim. Both pairs can easily be matched with either a crop top or a flowy blouse that can be tucked in. While I will wear the white pair more casually with a pair of converse for walking around in, the gray pair can be dressed up with a nice black tank top and strappy sandals. From department stores to boutiques, high waisted shorts can be found anywhere.

With spring break already so close, there is still much to pack before our flights take off and our car rides begin. By starting with the essentials and moving forward from there, we can be sure to have everything we need for a week full of sun. Though, there is no doubt that there will be plenty of bathing suit shops and convenience stores to pick up anything you need when you arrive. Now it is time to sit back and relax. Let the vacation begin!

Photos courtesy of Travel Channel, Salon, Raspberry Glow, Joy and Sunshine, RosyChicc, Eat This, Make Up By Iris, and Pinterest