5 Women-Owned Businesses That Are Absolutely Killing It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Who doesn’t love to find new businesses or brand that is innovative and inspiring? Whether it be through podcasts, social media or the good ol’ fashioned magazine, I’m constantly discovering new brands. In this day and age, it seems like there are a plethora of new businesses popping up, filling specific niches. Aside from amazing products, what I love most of all is a backstory. Knowing the face behind the brand makes it that much more relatable, accessible and, honestly, makes me much more likely to buy what they’re selling. As a young woman, I find it especially inspiring when these businesses are run by women. Let’s vote with our dollars, and show these bada** babes some love. They’re killing it.

Here are 5 women-owned that are killing the game. 

1. Outdoor Voices – Tyler Haney

I am a huuuge workout clothes junkie, and Outdoor Voices has consistently impressed me. Founder, Tyler Haney, graduated from Parsons School of Design and founded Outdoor Voices before the age of 30. She was finding herself uninspired in the workout space, and wanted to create a brand that took the competitiveness out of staying active. Outdoor Voices inspires movement of all kinds, in whatever way you desire. The quality and price of the clothes are amazing – completely sweat wicking leggings with no pilling. And they offer killer student discounts!

2. Sunday Energy – Melissa Flores

If you haven’t heard of Sunday Energy, pause right now and check it out. Not kidding. They have the best minimalistic, dainty and feminine jewelry. Melissa Flores, the owner, actually started her career as a content creator on Youtube. She stumbled into the space by accident when her college journalism professor asked her to create an online blog. Her passion snowballed from there. Flores is a perfect example of starting small and building upon existing branding. She’s also Dominican & you know we love some Latina power!

3. Drunk Elephant – Tiffany Masterson

I live, breathe and die Drunk Elephant. This skincare brand is an absolute game-changer for all skin types, seriously. Tiffany Masterson was a stay-at-home mom when she discovered her love for skincare. She started Drunk Elephant with a handful of simple, yet effective, products. Masterson has made sure to stick to simplicity in all aspects of her branding – from packaging to her entry into the global market (by sticking with just one retailer, Sephora). Honestly, the products speak for themselves. Get the virgin marula luxury facial oil and thank me later. 

4. Rizos Curls – Julissa Prado

Another Latina absolutely killing it. Julissa Prado started Rizos Curls out of her own need for curly hair products that actually worked. As a kid, she would save her money to spend on hair products that consistently disappointed. Prado decided to take it upon herself to create a formula that highlights all curl types. Her products are made for all curly haired women that feel their needs underrepresented in the beauty market. Now, that is something to admire. 

5. Sugarfina – Rosie O’Neill

At some point, you have 100% seen Sugarfina’s aesthetically pleasing candies on someone’s Instagram feed. Rosie O’Neill co-founded Sugarfina after getting the idea from watching “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.” She (very understandably) wondered why there weren’t any candy stores for adults. Sugarfina bridges the youthful candy with mature adult palates. From alcohol-infused gummy bears to cereal inspired chocolate bars, Sugarfina elevates the candy world. And delivers it all in one perfect, aesthetically pleasing package. 

Hi! I'm a sophomore at UM studying International Studies!
I'm Melanie Stamelman, a junior at the University of Michigan. I am the Campus Correspondent of UMich's chapter of Her Campus and am incredibly passionate about lifestyle journalism.  I follow the news and lifestyle trends, and am a self-proclaimed Whole Foods, spin obsessed wacko.  Thanks for reading xoxo.