5 Ways to be a Successful Thrift-Shopper

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

1. Keep an open mind to everything

This may seem like really cliché advice, but some people take thrift shops for granted. Sine thrift shops resell used items for a cheaper price, you can find popular brands such as Doc Martens, Zara, and BCBG if you really take time to look. You can never rush with thrift shopping. Be optimistic and positive. You will easily overlook items if you have preconceived notions that thrift stores does not hold current, trendy items.

2. Don’t always try to find the perfect size

Thrift stores may not always have the perfect sizing and some of the stuff might not even have a proper size tag. Do not immediately disregard a piece you picked out because it looks “too big” or “is not the right size.” Always attempt to try it on yourself. A lot of clothes in thrift shops may be from brands that you might not be familiar with, so they might have different sizing and can also look bigger/smaller depending on texture, material, and color.

3. Don’t be afraid to check out the men’s section

This is the tip that most famous fashion gurus and Youtubers have advised multiple times. Because we are normally used to not even bothering to check the Men’s section when we’re shopping at a mall or a department store, we can easily overlook the men’s section in thrift stores as well. However, you can find gems in the Men’s section. Oversized cardigans, vintage jackets, and basic coats are some of the items that can go well with any leggings and/or skinny jeans/pants. P.S. if you are in search of oversized tops, you should definitely check out the Men’s section.

4. Mix and match 

Because thrift shops have a conglomeration of different clothes, accessories, shoes, and jewelry from different brands, they may be harder to style and coordinate. But that is the beauty of thrift shopping. You have the absolute freedom to play around with different materials. Some may think that what you picked out is too flamboyant or odd. But, who cares? Be confident in your fashion choices and as long as you can wear them with pride, you can rock any style.

5. Don’t be discouraged if you don’t find that perfect sweater you wanted

You may come out of your local thrift store out empty-handed. While this is normal, always remember that thrift shops brings in loads of new goodies daily, so the clothing racks change rather frequently, especially compared to a regular clothing store. If you didn’t get to see the items you were looking for, don’t jump to the conclusion that thrift stores are not right for you. You can still find the perfect item at the most reasonable price. Remember, the best surprises may hit you at the most unexpected times! 

Images courtesy of youtube.com

college life~creative~Chinese~news~Twitter~life~love~smile