5 Tips for House Hunting in Ann Arbor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Ann Arbor is notoriously difficult and expensive for student housing and finding that perfect house within your budget seems like a ridiculous task. We’ve all been there. Whether you’re moving in with two or seven of your friends, finding that space feels like home requires both luck and skill. Here are some tips to make looking for your next abode a little bit easier!

Start early (like absurdly early)

With the limited amount of houses available off-campus and a huge population looking to rent them, spaces fill up fast. Enjoy having a range of options by starting your search around late September to early October. This ensures that you beat the housing crowd and are able to find a lease that’s not already booked for 2029.

Talk to your older friends!

A lot of juniors and seniors who are moving on from their college home are usually more than willing to turn over their lease to underclassmen who just ask. Take note of what houses you like and when the time comes to sign a lease, ask around and see if anyone would be willing to save their lease for you.

Do your research on the house and the landlord

Know what to look for when you first start looking at houses. Ask questions such as, “Is the water pressure and temperature reliable?” or “Have there been any recent pest infestations” or even “Do you feel safe in this house”? These types of questions can help you narrow your options and avoid any problems down the line! Also make sure you understand if there have been any problems with the landlord or the company that owns the house so you aren’t blindsided if some issue does arise.

Move quickly

If you like a house, don’t be afraid to move quickly and sign a lease for it. Chances are high that the perfect house doesn’t exist and something close to perfect is often as good as you will get. Leases get snatched up fast so be prepared to sign immediately if you like something. Worst case scenario, you learn to live with the house for a year and sign somewhere else for the next year!

Tour the house

Seems like common sense but don’t fall into the trap of signing a lease without seeing the space. A lot of pictures online are often angled to make a house seem a lot more spacious or livable than they actually are. Touring a house will let you see what the space actually feels and looks like. Plus, you’ll be able to check for any problems with the house while you’re at it.

All in all, the house doesn’t make the home so don’t worry if it is not your ideal space for the year. The memories you make with your friends within it, no matter how dingy or gross it is, will last far longer than the 12-month lease.

Images courtesy of: Michigan Rental and MLive

Em M

U Mich

Em is a senior at the University of Michigan, studying English and Psychology. Go Blue!