5 Things To Do If You Find Yourself in Ann Arbor in the Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

The days get longer, sangria at Dom’s gets colder, and many of us begin our yearly pilgrimage to our hometowns before jet-setting off to internships, exchange programs, and summer travels. While our friends are off doing glamorous things in Milan or changing the world on Capitol Hill, there are the few, the proud: the ones left in the ghost town that is Ann Arbor in the summer. What is there for a girl to do? The following list will help you to make the most out of your college-town summer.

1. Available parking 

One of the perks to your summer stay in A2 is the plentiful parking available to you. Live on Hill but have class at the MLB? During the school year no one would suggest making the drive, as you’d likely spend more time trying to park than you would walking, but less people in Ann Arbor means less cars. Park all you want, sister! Be aware that parking meters DO still count in the summer so stash quarters in your cup holder and allow me to encourage summertime laziness. Note: Any hopes for parking immediately go out the window during the annual Ann Arbor Street Art Fair, which brings me to…

2. Ann Arbor Street Art Fair 

Allow your inner artist come out and play during the annual art fair. This year’s dates are July 20 – 23. This event is perfect for walking around downtown and checking out pieces by artists that travel to Ann Arbor from all over the country. With free parking and inexpensive shuttling to and from Ann Arbor Pioneer High School, this is an event you might want to experience even if you’re home for the summer.

3. Canoeing 

If you’re in Ann Arbor with a small crew, grab some sunblock and a couple beers and head to the river for a splash of fun. You can choose to float if you are interested in a casual afternoon, or pick a canoe for a little more adventure. If you’re an experienced in the great outdoors, take this up a notch and add a hike through Pinckney State.

4. Dom’s, Dom’s, and then Dom’s Again

Highly coveted during the few warm months of the school year, Dominick’s on Monroe Street provides great indoor/outdoor seating and a wide selection of food and drink. The summer is a wonderful time to enjoy everything Dom’s has to offer, without the worry of limited seating. Order a gallon of sangria for you and your crew and enjoy the summer breeze, just don’t forget the bug spray!

5. Rick’s 

We all love heading STR during the school year, but long lines and crowded dance floors can bring down even the best of us. Rick’s in the summer includes the perks of shorter lines, quicker access to mind probes, and moderately cleaner bathrooms. Treat your evening at Dom’s as a pre-game and you’ll be ready to go!

Images courtesy of CZB.org, Myra Klarman, and Rachel Cohen.