This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Going to college means three things: new friends, late nights, and lots and lots of walking. Whether you live in the dorms or off-campus, you’ll find yourself having to walk outside for some distance to get to class. In Michigan, the weather can be very unpredictable and you have to prepare yourself with plenty of outfits to take on any terrain. Here are five ways to rock rain boots on those gloomy, rainy days:

1. Classic and Simple

On the days where you wake up 10 minutes before class starts (THANK GOD for Michigan time) and look out the window to see rain showers, you can’t go wrong with throwing on your favorite pair of jeans and a cozy sweater. Then just slip on your rain boots and head out the door! If it’s extra chilly, add a matching scarf!

2. Welly Socks.

These socks are made specifically for rain boots. They come in a variety of different colors, patterns and textures to mix and match. From zebra print to fur, there are welly socks for every outfit. Plus, they keep your feet extra warm for the winter!

3. Knee-highs

These are one of fall and winter’s most important clothing essentials. If you’re not down to splurge on welly socks that you can only wear with rain boots, knee-highs are the way to go. They come in an even bigger variety than welly socks and you can find them anywhere. It’s a great way to change up the look of rain boots and stay warm.

4. Colored Tights

Many people tend to opt for more neutral colors once the temperature goes down so here’s your chance to stand out! Wear a pair of colored tights of a complimentary color to your rain boots to spice up your outfit.

5. Colored Boots

Rain boots don’t always have to be black! There are so many different colors and patterns of rain boots out there that can be styled in many different ways. If you tend to wear more greys and blacks in the colder months, colored rain boots are a great way to add some color into your fall/winter wardrobe. You can also buy a blue or yellow pair that would be perfect for tailgating on those late season game days!  

Images courtesy of: Pinterest