5 Must See Summer Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

The Purge

Genre: Horror. Release date: June 7, 2013. Starring: Ethan Hawke, Lena Heady.

Why you need to see it:

The idea is far fetched, but it does get your mind racing. What would happen if crime was legal for one day? The Purge will keep your heart rate up, your palms sweaty, and your eyes glued to the screen to see what happens next.

The Bling Ring

Genre: Drama. Release date: June 21, 2013. Starring: Katie Chang, Israel Broussard, Emma Watson.

Why you need to see it:

Two words: Emma. Watson. If that isn’t enough for you, teenage angst, rebellion, and crime should be more than enough. The Bling Ring follows a group of teenagers living in L.A. who rob celebs’ homes (inspired by real events. Convinced yet?).

Tiger Eyes

Genre: Drama. Release date: June 7, 2013. Starring: Willa Holland.

Why you need to see it:

Based on the novel by Judy Blume, Tiger Eyes follows Davey, a young girl whose father has recently been killed, as she visits relatives in New Mexico with her mother and brother. Blume is known for writing teen novels that tackle difficult life experiences, and the movie, directed by her son, Lawrence Blume, promises to deliver.

Stuck in Love

Genre: Drama, Comedy. Release date: July 5, 2013. Starring: Kristen Bell, Logan Lerman, Jennifer Connelly, Lily Collins, Greg Kinnear.

Why you need to see it:

If the star-studded cast isn’t enough of a reason (Logan Lerman, AKA Charlie from Perks of Being a Wallflower—duh), then the plot should be. Stuck in Love follows the life of a writer, his ex-wife, and children over the course of a year as they explore love and what that word means.

Girl Most Likely

Genre: Comedy. Release date: July 19, 2013. Starring: Kristen Wiig, Annette Bening, Matt Dillon.

Why you need to see it:

Kristen Wiig (Bridesmaids!!!!), stars in this 2013 comedy about a failed playwright who must make the mortifying move from NYC back to her childhood home in New Jersey after both her career and love life don’t work out the way she thought they would. (PS. If you’re a Glee fan—this also stars Darren Criss. I’m guessing that’s enough said.)

I'm a sophomore at the University of Michigan, majoring in Communications and Creative Writing. I like gifs, videos of people falling, and my cat. I don't take myself too seriously.