The 5 Must-See Christmas Movies of The Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

With Christmas music playing on the local radio stations, the aisles in Target lined with assortments of sparkly ornaments and stockings, and the sound of your roommate singing Mariah Carey’s, “All I want for Christmas Is You,” in the shower, it’s very clear that the Christmas season is upon us once again.  In a few short days, it’ll be time to head home for Thanksgiving break—what better way to relax than getting a jump start on watching these all-time favorite Christmas movies? (Shhh, there’s nothing wrong with embracing that holiday spirit a tad early!)

Elf starring Will Ferrell

Get swept up in this light-hearted comedy about “Buddy The Elf” (Ferrell) who leaves the North Pole behind this Christmas as he ventures out to New York City in hopes of finding his biological father.  As Buddy searches for his true identity in the real world, he finds himself in a slew of havoc and chaos right in the very heart of Manhattan.  Between causing catastrophe at the mall during Christmastime and falling head over heels in love with a beautiful girl in the Big Apple, found out if Buddy ever reunites with his real father.

I’ll Be Home for Christmas starring Jonathon Taylor Thomas

With the hustle and bustle of traveling home from college during the holidays, all of us collegiettes can find some humor in this movie.  Watch Jonathon Taylor Thomas (Randy, from Home Improvement) star as Jake, a monotonous college student who struggles to make it home in time for Christmas.  As Jake travels from L.A. to his hometown of New York in a time-crunch, plenty of shenanigans get in his way.  Find out if he makes it home in time for Christmas dinner—or if he’s stuck in the desert in his big red Santa suit!

National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation starring Chevy Chase

With Chevy Chase cast as the leading role, you know the movie will be hilarious.  If you’ve ever thought your family was a nuisance during the holidays, you haven’t met the Griswold clan yet.  When Clark Griswold (Chevy Chase) decides to host Christmas at his house, he isn’t ready for hullaballoo that’s about to ensure.  With nutty Uncle Eddie unexpectedly showing up with his hillbilly family in stow to Uncle Lewis lighting the family Christmas tree on fire, you’ll laugh, cry, and understand the true meaning of “togetherness” during the holidays.

Home Alone starring Macaulay Culkin

Every collegiette has probably seen this movie at least once in her lifetime, but in case you need a refresher, Home Alone is the classic family Christmas movie of the season.  When eight-year-old Kevin is accidentally left behind by his family while they travel to Florida for the holidays, he finds himself in a whole heap of mischief.  Unlock the adventures that unwravel once Kevin realizes that not only does he become the “man of the house”—but he must defend the family’s mansion from two robbers on the prowl.

It’s A Wonderful Life starring James Stewart

Step back in time with this heart-warming black-and-white film from 1946, which sends a true message about sacrifices and helping others. The film stars James Stewart who plays George Bailey, a man who has given up all of his life-long dreams in order to help others.  When Bailey commits suicide on Christmas Eve, his guardian angel intervenes in order to show George just how much he’s touched all the lives of the people that he’s helped in the past years. Warning: this movie is a tearjerker! 

Caroline is a junior at the University of Michigan, studying Communications & Writing. She was born and raised a Jersey girl but attends school in the Midwest and now lives out West in Arizona.  In her free time, Caroline enjoys playing tennis, reading James Patterson novels, cheering on the Wolverines at the Big House, lounging in the Arizona sunshine, and snuggling with her boxer puppy.