This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Winters can be hard in Michigan. We don’t have to only waddle around campus in the slippery snow, plug in our extra heaters to combat the bitter cold, and spend an inordinate amount of time studying for finals. There also many festive activities to partake in, which are special to this time of year. Make the most out of the winter-time, take some inspiration from this list, and do something fun!

1. Build a gingerbread house

This is an activity that my sister and I look forward to doing together every year. We would force my grandpa to make one each time he came to visit, even if it was as early as Halloween and we were sticking candy corn onto our gingerbread roof instead of gumdrops. Go buy a gingerbread house kit at any local grocery store, or even the Walgreens on State Street, and you’ll be set; It will come with the house structure, frosting, candy, and whatever else you might need. Get your friends together, or do it alone for some stress-relief, and try not to eat all the sweets before decorating your house!

1. Have a holiday movie night

Netflix released some new holiday themed movies of debatable quality, but the classics like The Polar Express and Love Actually are always enjoyable. I will definitely also be trying to convince my boyfriend to watch the new Nutcracker movie with me! Curl up on the couch with some popcorn, wine, and a fuzzy blanket to watch cheesy movies with the best excuse: holiday time.

1. Spend time in the kitchen

Crop tops are gone, sweatpants are in, and so is good food! Eat chicken noodle soup to avoid catching the mysterious illness that all your friends have, bake caramel apple pie and snickerdoodle cookies, or heat up some hot cocoa with marshmallows. If you’re feeling adventurous, look on cooking websites, or even Pinterest, to find some fun recipes.

1. Exchange gifts

Whether you’re doing Secret Santa, Hannukah Harry, or just giving your friends and family gifts, shopping is one of the best parts of this time of year. Everyone appreciates a thoughtful present, and there are also constant sales going on now, so it should be easy to find something affordable and fun for the recipient of your gift. Good luck refraining from buying yourself some gifts along the way.

1. Go ice skating

If you’re like me, incredibly clumsy, and cannot balance on the ice at all, I can tell you from experience that it makes for a hysterically funny activity. It’s definitely embarrassing, but worth it. You can rent skates at the rink for a low price, and just make sure you wear warm clothing! Also, try to get a good Instagram while you’re there…no one has to know you fell thirty times.