5 Golden Ring Ideas to Spend Winter Break in Michigan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

1. Ice Skating in Campus Martius

Just when you thought ice skating couldn’t get any better: Campus Martius Park put a rink right in the heart of Downtown Detroit. Open from November to March, Campus Martius Park Ice Skating Rink is perfect for a night out with friends or family. This remains a favorite destination during the holidays, especially during the Motown Winter Blast festival and New Year’s Eve.

2. The Big, Bright Lights Show

Brighten your holiday season in Downtown Rochester with the Big, Bright Light Show. Every evening (5pm – midnight) the buildings downtown will be covered with more than 1 million glimmering holiday lights. Stroll through the city with a peppermint latte from Bean & Leaf Cafe, or window shop the numerous boutiques Rochester has to offer. The display continues through January’s Fire & Ice Festival.

3. Bronner’s at Frankenmuth

While Frankenmuth is the perfect destination for any Michigan getaway, it is also home to Bronner’s CHRISTmas Wonderland, the World’s Largest Christmas Store. With 96,000 square feet of retail space and thousands of stocked items, Bronner’s is your one stop shop for everything this Christmas season. Pick up a new Christmas ornament or take a picture with the Santa statue. As an added bonus, there are more than 300 decorated Christmas trees in the store at anytime during the year.

4. Skiing and Snowboarding at Boyne Mountain

Boyne Mountain has seen it all. With 60 downhill runs, their commitment to skiing and snowboarding is as strong as it has always been. In addition to the slopes, Boyne Mountain is home to 35km of groomed trails for cross-country skiing. For those who haven’t experience skiing or snowboarding before, the Austrian-American SnowSports Academy is there to help.

5. Holiday Nights in Greenfield Village

Channel your inner Nat King Cole by roasting chestnuts over an open fire at Greenfield Village this December. The sounds of carolers, fiddlers and sleigh bells fill the air and lantern-lit pathways take you to a winter wonderland you never thought possible. Handcraft an ornament, strap on a pair of ice skates, or drink hot cocoa in a horse-drawn wagon through the 80 acres that is Greenfield Village.

Images courtesy of: Google Images

Em M

U Mich

Em is a senior at the University of Michigan, studying English and Psychology. Go Blue!