5 Feminist Female TV Leads Who Are Everything

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

In today’s mass media, women are commonly depicted in a narrow, negative perspective riddled with sexism. Magazine cover after cover depicts over-sexualized women with captions such as “How to Please Your Man” and “What to Do When Your Husband Gets Grumpy,” insinuating that women exist only to please men. Television series like Desperate Housewives and The Real Housewives Series depict women as only stay-at-home moms with little capability to do much else. The widespread nature of these one-sided representations is dangerous, as mass media has far-reaching effects. As these shows gain popularity, viewers begin formulate the idea that these fictional depictions of women are realistic and commonplace in the real world.

The overdue empowerment of women in television is, however, combating these one-sided representations. With a series of kick-ass, new-wave feminist shows airing as of late, more and more television series are beginning to depict women as more than just a stereotypical housewife.

1. The Mindy Project

The Mindy Project is a stellar example of feminist television. Not only does plot-line of show portray an influential OB/GYN in Manhattan, it also is written by a very influential woman in the industry — Mindy Kaling. Mindy Kaling somehow manages to write, cast, produce, and star in her own show, like the bad-ass that she is, shattering the glass ceiling for women in the professional world. Even more so, Mindy is shattering the stereotypes of “typical” Hollywood actresses, as she exemplifies the true authentic beauty of everyday women, making her success even more poignant. Lastly, Mindy is changing the way women are viewed through her show which features a wealthy, powerful woman who is also a doctor and single mom. Kaling’s character shows the world that she can survive completely independent and still be successful and happy.

2. Parks and Recreation

The first thought that comes to mind at the mention of “Leslie Knope” is mentioned: persistent. Amy Poehler portrays a hilarious, yet highly-motivated local government official who, (SPOILER ALERT), by the end of the season, has served two terms as the Indiana Governor. As a little girl Leslie dreams of becoming high-ranking government official, and through her hard work, was able to achieve that goal. Hardly ever does Leslie exhibit stereotypically “female” characteristics; aka she is never highly emotional, over-sexualized, or dependent on men. All in all, Leslie Knope is a perfect example of powerful women on television.

3. 30 Rock 

Liz Lemon on 30 Rock is almost entirely surrounded by men in her professional sphere, and yet she manages to be the “boss-woman” in the writing department. She, as the head writer, has complete power over the script of “The Girlie Show,” with authority over her male counterparts. She repeatedly demonstrates that importance of being true to yourself and forging your own path. For example, in the Valentine’s Day episode Liz opts to spend the holiday celebrating the birthday of a women’s rights activist, instead of lamenting her singleness. Props to Lemon. During Season 3 she reminds us of just another reason why we need feminism: why is birth control so god damn expensive? Double-standards much? Lemon uses her voice on the show for the benefit of women, and that is exactly why we love her so much.

4. The Office 

Unfortunately, in television, men outnumber women 2:1, but The Office challenges this quota by casting five continuous female leads: Pam Beesly-Halbert, Phyllis Lapin-Vance, Meredith Palmer, and Kelly Kapoor are all female leads working at Dunder Mifflin Paper Company. The leading female who most obviously challenges female stereotypes is Pam Beesly who works originally as the archetypal female secretary, but later earns a promotion up to the sales team at Dunder Mifflin. Pam proved that women are capable and motivated in the workplace by striving for a promotion and ultimately winning the position through her hard work.

5. Mad Men 

Peggy Olson faces the most severe gender stereotyping in Mad Men because she technically lives in the past. Set in the 1950’s, Peggy works as a secretary — a commonplace and acceptable position for women at the time. Peggy, like Pam on The Office, worked hard to move up the corporate ladder and became an advertising genius. With consideration to the time-period in which Peggy lives, her ambition and skill in the workplace is exceptionally rare and doubly inspiring. You go, Peggy.

Photos courtesy of giphy.com, and The Opinioness.