14 Ways to Show that Lucky Someone You Care this V-Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

1.     It might be cliché, but seriously, what is better than a flower delivery? Whether it is a dozen roses or a single daisy, you just can’t go wrong. Flowers here in AA? Just call or stop by  Chelsea’s Flower Shop on E. Liberty, you’ll  have the sweet smell of success this V-Day!

2. Live your own Michigan “Notebook” moment and take that special someone to a mystery stroll destination. Walk through The Arch and seal the night with a kiss. Let the magical tradition of happily ever after continue.

3. Avid Pinterest-er? You might have seen this idea floating around: Every memorable year in a relationship gets a penny commemorating the date of a special occasion. You can make a key chain, a necklace or even just a little good luck charm.   An easy but sentimental gesture will guarantee that your sweetheart knows you care all year.

4. Yeah, we know Valentine’s Day is all about the love, but where’s the chocolate? Kilwin’s Chocolates and Fudge on Main Street offers some deliciously tempting heart-shaped chocolate boxes. They’re perfect. Purchase them online here!  Guaranteed to make anyone’s day sweeter!

5. Main Street dinners may normally be reserved for parent’s weekend, but why not splurge? Have your very own Lady and the Tramp spaghetti moment at Palio on Main Street.  Bon appeitto!

6. OR stay in! Have a budget friendly picnic. Order Chinese delivery for two and eat it with pillows and blankets on the floor to camp “in” for the night. Nothing wrong with V-Day in the comfort of your dorm. Cozy and cheap!

7. S’more ideas? To conjure up a bonfire moment, pick up some graham crackers, chocolate bars, and marshmallows at the newest Walgreens- this way you can huddle by the microwave. Starting the fire is all on you!

8. Can’t get to the city of love for Valentines day? No worries, Michigan has you covered. Stop by Au Bon Pain at the Union. Let a Café au Lait and croissant transport you to Paris. Bon Voyage!

9.  Shakespeare knew a thing or two about love. Interested in seeing a show? Nothing is more romantic than Romeo and Juliet. Surprise your sweetie with tickets to this classic performance at the Walgreen Drama Center on February 20th. Buy tickets right now!  

10. Ridin’ solo this year? No problem.  On Saturday, February 15th, grab a friend and head on over to watch the ultra competitive Michigan women’s tennis team score against Notre Dame Saturday the 15th. Who knows, maybe you will too!

11. If you want an all-inclusive night planned out for you, make your way to the Union for the Umix- ULove event. The night is filled with speed dating, free fondue, and a free movie! Doesn’t get any better than that. Only M-Card required for admission. UMix loves U!

12. Looking to let someone know they have a secret admirer? @Umichcrushes on twitter lets you shout out to that cutie in our class that sits two rows in front of you. Take a chance, after all, love is in the air.

13.  Love rocks at Michigan, so grab your date and let your artistic talents flow by painting the famous UMich rock!  Romancing the Stone is a great way to celebrate Valentine’s Day.

14.  Go old school and write a letter. There was a time without texting, so skip the PC or MacBook and head over to the Ugli.  If you’re not sure exactly how to put your words into melodic phrases worthy of making a love one swoon, have no fear, because most of us cannot.  Find inspiration in the bookshelves that are graced with thousands of love poems. Viva l’ amour.

If all else fails,  you can always fall back on the tried and true wish of “Happy Valentine’s Day” followed with a kiss with your special someone.