12 Girls Who Know Winter Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Ann Arbor is a stylish place, that’s for sure. The atmosphere here is entirely intoxicating. People are creative and fearlessly expressive, and this makes for some great fashion all around. I’m always impressed by the looks I see around campus, and the winter fashion this year has been no exception!

Last week, I hit the streets and went on the lookout for killer street style and great winter outfits. Ann Arbor didn’t disappoint– see for yourself! I complied a list of Ann Arbor’s best-dressed. Meet 12 girls who are doing winter fashion the right way:

1. Madisen Bathish, Sophomore

• Instagram: mbathish

Madisen’s bohemian style is inspired by Free People. She crafts outfits that incorporate different patterns, and uses a mixture of fitted and baggy pieces to get her look.

“Crafting outfits in the winter can be difficult, but layering is key.”

2. Kris Leydig, Senior

Her look is influenced by bloggers such as The Little Magpie, TheyAllHateUs, and Zina Charkoplia of Zina Fashionvibe.

“My style remains simple, but I do get away with wearing all black outfits! In the fall especially, I tend to bring out my inner punk princess and wear a lot of oversized flannel shirts instead of sweaters or cardigans. But like almost everyone, I’m guilty of trying out the season’s trends and hopefully working them into my wardrobe.”

Her style? “Classic redux (but not vintage!)”

3. Makena McCarroll, Freshman

4. Emmy Sprong, Sophomore

5. Sophie Burns, Freshman

For this look, Sophie combined several pieces with different textures and shades of black, and paired a BCBG jacket with Lucchese booties.

“I’m from LA, so dressing fashionably for the winter is a new task for me. The easiest way to adapt to winter style is with scarves. I’m obsessed with scarves!”

“I’m really interested in modern art and the arts in general, so I usually strive for my fashion sense to reflect my artistic tendencies and creative interests. But I also like to be comfortable.

“Chiara Ferragni is my fashion inspiration, she’s perfect!

6. Sierra Vanderkelen, Senior

Her style in one word? “Eclectic.” Karlie Kloss is Sierra’s style icon. Ann Taylor is her go-to store for staple pieces, but she loves splurging at Scoop NYC.

• Sweater: Helmut Lang
  • Leggings: Milkyway
  • Shoes: L. L. Bean
  • Necklace: Tiffany and co.
  • Sweater: Scoop NYC
  • Jeans: jbrand
  • Sweater: Banana Republic
  • Scarf: Burberry

7. Kelly Krater, Senior (Right)

8. Marjorie McCurry, Senior (Left)

9. Shivani Deshmink, Senior

• Instagram: sdeshmukh

For this look, Shivani layered a slouchy, long sleeve shirt (Urban Outfitters) over a tribal print dress (Zara). She paired black tights with over-the-knee socks, and heeled booties, and tied the look together with a shearling vest, infinity scarf, and neutral-toned LV.

“I’m from California, Boston, and the Pacific Northwest– and I think that’s hugely reflected in my style. Some of my looks tend to be more preppy and proper, like much of New England, while others are more laid-back and sunny, much like the beach culture of the west coast.”

10. Natalie Sherer, Sophomore

11. Martha McKinnon, Sophomore

12. Erika Harwood, Senior

“I like to keep it simple and put a strong emphasis on comfort. I sort of try to wear color, but I usually end up only wearing neutrals. If I had to describe my style in two words it would probably be something like “disheveled chic.”