10 Summer Style Staples

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

The time is nearing for us to stow away our heavy coats and sweaters for the season and transition into our warmer wardrobe. Whether your summer clothes seem outdated or you just want another reason to go shopping (this is a judgment free zone), I’ve collected 10 summer staples to stock up on for this season. 

Lace Shorts

A classic for taking a look from day to night, lace shorts can be easily dressed up for your summer job or paired with a t-shirt if you’re just hanging out at home. This pair from Urban Outfitters will match almost anything you have in your closet. 

Colored Skinny Jeans

Depending on where you’ll be residing during the summer months, skinny jeans may hold more or less value to your summer wardrobe. If you find yourself somewhere cooler or maybe you just refuse to wear shorts (the summer after third grade, I only wore jeans because I didn’t think shorts were cool. Yeah, it made no sense.). Spring and summer are the times to try out different colors and patterns with your skinny jeans like these Aztec printed and neon pairs from Zara. 

Crop Top

When you hear “crop top”, you may immediately think of any girl group circa the mid-90s and I’m not to going to say you’re wrong. The style is back, but chicer than ever and can be styled for every body type and almost every occasion. This striped one form Nasty Gal could be paired with black denim shorts or a high waisted maxi skirt. 

High Waisted Shorts

Instead of the classic cutoff denim shorts, try those of the high waisted variety. Whether you pair them with a crop top or tuck in a breezy blouse, high waisted shorts are a trendy summer staple you can wear with almost anything. Try this patterned pair from Urban Outfitters or this blue pair from asos

Round Sunglasses

A sure way to stand out among the sea of Ray-Bans is to try out the increasingly popular round frame. While you may automatically think the round shape is a little too jarring, there are all kinds of variations of round shades from these very circular ones by from Marc by Marc Jacobs or these more subtle frames by Stella McCartney.

Varsity Jacket

No, this is not permission to whip out your Letterman jacket from high school. Varsity Jackets are making a comeback but with a much needed, stylish upgrade. Instead of repping your letters telling the world you were on the tennis team (that’s wonderful, by the way) try this leather and tweed version by 10 Crosby Derek Lam or this floral one by Thakoon Addition

Crossbody Bag

AKA “The Lifesaver Bag.” Whether you’ll be running all over NYC for your internship or lounging around at Lollapalooza this summer, a crossbody bag is essential. Not only is this a handsfree way to carry all of your belongings, but they come in all kinds of styles such as this petite, quilted one from Zara or this oversized one from Modcloth.

Wedge Sandal

Sometimes you have to rip your feet out of your flip flops and put on real shoes. When that day comes, be prepared with a classic wedge sandal. The good news is, wedges are arguably the most comfortable type of heel to wear and ones like these from Rag & Bone always add an extra touch of style, whether you’re wearing a summer dress or skinny jeans and a t-shirt. 

Backless Dress

Nothing says summer like clothes with giant sections of fabric missing. Contrary to popular belief, backless dresses are not limited to evening hours only. You could wear this white one from Nasty Gal to an outdoor concert or to a brunch date with friends.

Panama Hat

Put away that fedora because unless you’re Frank Sinatra, we’re over it. Instead, try a Panama hat, like this one from J. Crew to protect your face from any unwanted rays.