This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Boston chapter.

Everyone has practices or habits they use to help cope with the many stressors of life; some of these habits are positive, others not so much. But these coping mechanisms, daily habits, self- care methods, whatever you want to call it, are necessary as it’s what we use to deal with the many obstacles life throws at us. For a long time, I struggled to find self-care methods that worked for me, most of them seemed cliche or redundant. However, I’ve recently found and narrowed down a few wellness practices that have been just what I needed. I know self-care is subjective, and completely depends on the individual, but I still encourage you to read my wellness tips on the off chance it does help! Life is hard, but there are things we can do to make it a little more bearable. 

Cold Plunge 

I tried a cold plunge for the first time ever this week at Moki Sauna, a cold plunge and sauna on the Rose Kennedy Greenway in Rowes Wharf, Boston. I’ll be completely honest; I was only planning on going for the sauna. The idea of doing a cold plunge terrified me; it was way outside of my comfort zone. The idea of climbing into an ice-cold tub, outside, in Boston, in February, sounded awful. However, I had also read the benefits of it, how it improves blood flow, naturally spikes dopamine, helps with muscle pain. Plus, I was already there. So, after spending about fifteen minutes in the sauna, I hopped in the freezing cold barrel, and to my surprise, it was not nearly as bad as I thought. In fact, I did it four more times. I felt so refreshed after, and every time I did it I found I was able to stay in longer. I feel it helped ground me and pull me into the moment, and I was able to tap into my patience and endurance in a totally unique way. Like I said, that was only my first time doing it, but I immediately understood the hype around cold plunges, and I will definitely be going back! 

https://www.mokisauna.com/

Exercise 

If you think you’ve heard this one a million times before, wait until we get to the next wellness practice. But really, exercise is so important for so many reasons. Exercise reduces stress levels, lowers chances of heart disease, improves circulation, builds muscle, and improves quality of life in so many ways. Personally, I like exercise because it’s nice to raise my pulse for reasons that aren’t anxiety-related, it reminds me that my body is just working to make sure I’m okay. Running is also one of my biggest hobbies, so the fact that it is so beneficial to my overall health makes it that much better. There are many fun ways to exercise, you just need to find something that works for you! 

Fun Exercise Ideas: 

• Dance/ Zumba Class (no words necessary) 
  • Hot Girl Walk (classic) 
  • Running! (I’m biased lol) 
  • Swimming (pretend it’s summer) 
  • Indoor Rock-Climbing (climber girl era) 
  • Hiking (just bundle up) 
  • Roller rink (live out your ’70s dream) 

Nutrition 

So, I did warn you, but I can’t write an article on wellness without mentioning nutrition. I know it sucks, but unfortunately the way you eat really can impact your body. Something I know a lot of girls struggle with is undereating, and with that comes a lot of other issues, from nutrient deficiencies to fatigue to amenorrhea, the list goes on, and that’s not even to mention the mental impacts of disordered eating. I can’t stress enough how important food is, not only food but food that makes you feel strong. I’ll call myself out: A few months ago, all I had for dinner was a party size bag of Flamin’ Hot Cheetos. I only did this because I was too lazy to make myself an actual meal, but I figure that since I ate something, I’d be fine. I was so wrong; I woke up the next morning and felt so terrible I had to call out of work. The way we eat really impacts how we feel, mentally and physically, and you can’t operate at your best if you’re underfed and not giving yourself the proper nutrients. Whether you need to take supplements or not, try to ensure that you are eating enough and getting the proper nutrients we need as humans. 

Productive Leisure 

Like any busy, working student, I covet my almost nonexistent leisure time. However, I often find myself spending most of my free time scrolling through Instagram. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but when I finally have a few hours to myself I’d like to spend it elsewhere. Lately, I’ve been trying to be more productive with my free time; whether that means reading, journaling, spending time with friends or family, or even chilling with my dog. The idea of productive leisure is going to mean something different to everyone, but for me it’s about spending my down time doing things that support my personal goals—like spending time with those I love, reading new books, or writing.  

Stretching 

I chose to give stretching its own category because I find it serves a purpose for me that is extra important. As I’ve previously stated, I’m a runner, and through my sport I quickly learned the importance of a good daily stretch. From a young age, I learned that if I did not stretch after a run, I would not be happy with myself in the morning, a sentiment that I soon started to attach to my everyday life. A daily stretch truly makes everything better, and it also gives me the opportunity to slow down and tune in with myself. Even something small, like trying to touch your toes for a few seconds every day, will make a world of a difference. Stretching can fix posture, offer pain relief, improve flexibility and agility, decrease the chance of injury and so much more. Whether you do a few stretches in bed, have a stretching routine, or go to a yoga class, it’s so beneficial to overall health. 

Whatever you do for yourself wellness-wise, just try to ensure that it’s healthy and supports you mentally, physically, and/or spiritually. There are so many negative coping mechanisms, so it’s extra important to find ones that will positively impact your life. At the end of the day, the goal is to be happy and healthy, and however you get there is up to you! 

Emily Russell

U Mass Boston '24

Emily Russell is a 21 year old senior at Umass Boston studying English with a concentration in Race, Ethnicity, & Literature. Emily's works focuses on city life, college life, and wellness.