This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Boston chapter.

The air is starting to get cooler, the trees are getting ready to turn bright colors, and UMass Boston has just entered the second month of its Fall 2023 semester. As classes start to get more involved, so does the UMass Boston community. Clubs are back in full swing! Not only have many of UMass Boston’s clubs hosted their first meeting, there have been plenty of events for students to attend and enjoy! Here is a recap of some of the latest from the UMass Boston community, as well as some highlights of what’s to come. 

The school’s Student Arts and Events Council kicked off the beginning of the year once again with Welcome Week. SAEC hosts a Welcome Week event for each of UMass Boston’s more populated semesters: fall and spring. Each event is themed, and this semester’s design was “Future Times.” There were plenty of things to do, including tabling events highlighting some of the resources on campus as well as some of the student centers from Student Activities. Some of the more notable events during the Fall 2023 Welcome Week was a visit from Ikea and the First Friday concert. 

The Swedish furniture company Ikea brought and built a large law machine on the second floor of the Campus Center, along with furniture and knick-knacks to resemble a student’s dorm room. The claw machine operated on a “play until you win” system, meaning every student who waited in line long enough won something from the machine. Participants could win from a variety of items including stuffed animals or Ikea gift cards ranging from $5 to $500 in price. In order to participate, students signed up for Ikea Family, the rewards system in place at the store, and waited in line. 

When asked about the event, UMass Boston sophomore Binta said,  “I really liked it. I think it’s a really fun, cool event. Especially at UMass Boston. I usually don’t stop for any other events, but for this one I did.” She held up a small, heart-shaped plush with a smiling face and outstretched arms. 

“(I waited) an hour and thirty minutes to two hours. It was more so the people in the line itself, it wasn’t really (the worker’s) fault.” Binta expressed. “I won the heart of Ikea. At least that’s what they said.”

Many other students also expressed long wait times to get to the claw machine. It seemed as though most people would take around ten to fifteen minutes to align the claw with whatever they wanted to win. This strategy was to increase their likelihood of winning a gift card. 

Sophomore Georgia Berry also waited around an hour and a half in line. “I do not have a couch right now, so I was totally fine to wait for an hour and 20 minutes,” she said. “Oh, I also made friends in the line! We talked for an hour and twenty minutes; we had nothing better to do. We all won like fifty bucks, it was like a group effort — we were connected.”

The claw machine stayed for three days at various times: Tuesday, Sept. 5 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.; Wednesday, Sept. 6 from 12 to 4 p.m.; and Thursday, Sept. 7 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

The First Friday Concert was held Friday, Sept. 8, featuring a plethora of Boston-based bands. This event organized by SAEC was set up in the front lawn of the Campus Center. A stage and speakers were put together for the visiting bands to play on, and students gathered to sit on the blue lawn chairs outside or on blankets laid out in the grass. The artists in question invited to sing included Eph See, Notebook P, Coral Moons, and DJ RM. All artists’ music can be found on many streaming services. 

Her Campus at UMass Boston has been up to a lot as well. The first in-person meeting ever is now in the books, which introduced club members to each other and went over some of the most important things members should know. Kiehl’s sent samples of their new liquid pimple patch for all of the HC members to try as well, with praise for the product coming from many members of the chapter including the President and Campus Correspondent Jacqueline Tucker.

Our first official event of the semester, Paint & Pint, was held in collaboration with the Art for Mental Health Club on Friday, Sept. 29 from 8 to 10 p.m. in the East Motley Residence Hall Dining Commons. There was a great turnout, with at least fifty students coming to paint their choice of a canvas or tote bag and grab some ice cream. Familiar faces could be seen from both clubs, along with some newbies joining the crowd. We hope to see similar results for the next HC UMass Boston event, a spooky movie night featuring “Twilight,” which will be held Oct. 27 at 8 p.m. in University Hall. Stop by to experience the angsty teen romance and grab some snacks!!

Even sooner, all members are welcome to join a study session Wednesday, Oct. 11 at 5 p.m. in the Integrated Sciences Complex, Room 1400. This study session is a lowkey hangout to get to know fellow members of the club while also knocking out some school work. Her Campus UMass Boston will hold another chapter meeting Monday, Oct. 16 as well, which will have pizza for all members to enjoy. 

Can’t wait for these events?  Here are some highlights for other campus organizations: 

The Spanish Club hosts a meeting every Thursday from 1 to 3 p.m. in the Campus Center, Room 2100 to practice Spanish. All levels are welcome from native speakers to beginners: “¡practica tu español!” 

The Psychology club will be holding a movie night on Friday, Oct. 13 from 5 to 7 p.m. in University Hall, Room 2110 to show the movie “Beautiful Minds.” Food and drinks will be provided. 

The Student Arts and Events Council has many events coming up for Halloween. Here are some of the most recent events, though there are many that can be found through UMBeinvolved up to Oct. 31: 

• Suncatcher painting and snacks will be available on the First Floor Terrace of the Campus Center on Thursday, Oct. 12 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
  • Also on First Floor Terrace, Thursday, Oct. 12, is a game show where you can earn money, going from 7 to 8 p.m.
  • Pumpkin painting will be available on the First Floor Terrace of the Campus Center Tuesday, Oct. 17 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
  • A paint night will be held in the ISC Atrium on Tuesday, Oct. 17 from 6 to 9 p.m.

More information for all of these events can be found through UMass Boston’s club involvement portal, UMBeInvolved.

Riley Hammond

U Mass Boston '25

Riley is a junior at UMass Boston, currently pursuing a degree in psychology (BS). She hopes to enter the field of psychological research, with interest in clinical psychology, stigma, and the influences of culture and identity on different aspects of psychology. Her overall career goal is to help others and reduce the stigma surrounding mental health diagnoses and therapy in general. When she isn't working or studying, you can find her at the gym, scrapbooking, or