This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Boston chapter.

Transgender Visibility Day is a day to celebrate the resilience, strength, and accomplishments of transgender people. It is also a day to raise awareness about the challenges and discrimination that transgender people continue to face, especially with the anti-LGBT+ bills being presented across the United States over the past year. As we recognize Transgender Visibility Day, it’s important to reflect on the complexities and experiences within the trans community and how we can support trans people and youth.

The transgender experience is multifaceted and unique to each individual. For many trans people, coming out and transitioning can be a difficult process. This is especially true for young trans people, as they’re entirely reliant on a family or community who may reject and disown them. Trans people are at a higher risk for depression, anxiety, and suicide than their peers. This is often due to the lack of support and isolation. This is why it is crucial that we prioritize creating safe and inclusive spaces for trans youth in schools, families, and communities.

Additionally, there has been a disturbing trend of anti-transgender bills introduced in state legislatures across the United States over the past year. These bills range from limiting access to gender-affirming healthcare, such as hormone blockers and hormone therapy, to prohibiting transgender people from using public restrooms that align with their gender identity. These bills are not only discriminatory, but they also have real-world consequences for trans people and can increase the already high stress among the trans community. These mental health issues that bills like these are exacerbating can also make it difficult for trans youth to focus on their education or participate in social activities. Similarly, there have been multiple bills introduced that deny trans athletes the opportunity to compete with their preferred gender. This forces trans teenagers to decide between competing with peers or passing as their true gender. This state-mandated sports restriction can lead to feelings of isolation and exclusion, which can contribute heavily to mental health problems. These bills send a clear message to trans people that they are not valued or respected, and that their basic human rights are not worth protecting.

According to the American Civil Liberties Union, or the ACLU, in 2023 there have been over 431 anti-LGBT+ bills in the U.S. that have continued to advance from 2022 or have been introduced in 2023. Approximately 336 of these bills have advanced, while only 66 have been defeated. When a bill is advancing, this means it is in between its introduction or creation, and now is being debated by state legislatures. Therefore, these bills are continuing to make way and could potentially become discriminatory laws very soon. The ACLU currently has an ongoing petition to support trans youth and combat these bills. You can find their petition to advocate for trans youth here

So, what can we do to support the trans community? Firstly, we advocate for their rights and stand up against these discriminatory bills. This means contacting our elected officials, attending protests, and using our voices to raise awareness about the unjust treatment of trans people. If you are looking to find your state representative, click here to contact your state representative in support of the LGBT community.  It also means supporting organizations that provide resources and services for transgender people, such as the Trevor Project, GLSEN, or the Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund.

In addition to advocating for transgender rights, we must also prioritize creating safe and inclusive spaces. This means actively challenging transphobia and gender-based discrimination in our schools, workplaces, and communities. Educating ourselves and others about the trans experience and using inclusive language and pronouns is the best way to make trans people feel valued and heard. Listening to and amplifying the voices of trans people, and providing them with the support they need to thrive is also a key role in advocating for the trans community. 

On this Transgender Visibility Day, let us celebrate the diversity and strength of trans people everywhere. Let us recognize the challenges and discrimination that transgender people face while celebrating the accomplishments that many trans people have made, especially within or for the LGBT community. Overall, making a commitment to supporting and advocating for the rights of transgender people will create a more inclusive and just society for all.

Jackie Tucker

U Mass Boston '25

Jackie Tucker is the President and Campus Correspondent at the Her Campus UMass Boston Chapter. I oversee and create content with the social media team, as well as manage the event planning and marketing teams. I'm a fourth year student at the University of Massachusetts Boston, with a double major in Psychology (B.S.) and Communications (B.A.). Beyond Her Campus, I work in our campus' student activities office and assist all of the organizations on campus with event planning, poster management and any questions/concerns there may be regarding various organizations. Additionally, I'm a research assistant the AMPT lab on campus, or Anxiety Mechanisms and Processes Team run by Dr. Hayes-Skelton. In my free time, I love to listen to music and spend time with my friends. Some of my current favorite artists are the 1975, Arctic Monkeys, and Wallows. I also go on regular hikes when I can, and love to go to concerts.