How To Enter Your ‘Eat, Pray, Love Era: College Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Boston chapter.

Everyone has a comfort movie that makes them feel better without saying a word. Whenever I feel down or need to regroup, I watch Eat, Pray, Love. I remember watching it the first time; I felt like someone had woken me up. Days later, it lingered in my mind, and I wondered: How can I achieve this life? Eat, Pray, Love follows the life of Elizabeth Gilbert, an author on a journey of self discovery. Elizabeth enters a low point where she craves the need for change and questions every aspect of her life. In the memoir and movie, featuring Julia Roberts as Liz, She confesses her unhappiness and how nothing is fulfilling even though she has a “perfect” house, husband, and job. After a painful divorce, she unties all ends in New York City and leaves for a year to find peace and balance in Italy, India, and Indonesia. Although this book explores the personal trauma of a divorced woman, anyone can relate to her story in some aspect. You don’t have to travel the world to understand the lessons she gained: You can enter your Eat, Pray, Love era from the comfort of your home.

If you ever thought: what am I doing with my life? You should hear this. As an overwhelmed college student, I have moments where I question my path in life. I lose myself in all the chaos and repeatedly ask myself: Why am I not happy? Why don’t I feel fulfilled? We are in a ruthless cycle; we have no concept of pleasure or how to let go and be happy. Being in school is a privilege, and I speak for myself when I say I’m wholeheartedly grateful to pursue a degree. But that doesn’t take away from how hard everything is. Students are expected to receive exceptional grades while working, exercising, completing extracurricular activities, having a social life, and more. After a semester of working like a robot, people wonder why we are so burnt out. As my sister says, “the Sunday blues are real.” We run around all week to complete our responsibilities and then when the weekend comes, it’s time to complete household chores and plan for the next week. Sunday comes and the blues set in, and we realized there was no opportunity to have fun or relax. If you relate to any part of this: let’s channel our inner Elizabeth Gilbert and explore how to enter our Eat, Pray, Love era.

Eat
Elizabeth indulges in pizzas, plates of pasta, and wine on her adventure in Rome. With every bite, her face fills with joy. She learns the pleasure in food. Not only does food feed your body, but it nourishes your soul. Food is more than simply eating because you are hungry; food provides us the energy to breathe, walk, and dance. With such a short life, let’s take advantage of all the great foods offered. Your body is precious and deserves to be fed delicious meals. Life is about pleasure. Eat at that pizza place you’ve been meaning to try! Don’t be afraid to make that new recipe you’ve been eyeing on your TikTok feed! You deserve breaks throughout your day to sit and relax with your favorite snack in your hand. Romanticize your life while you picnic with friends eating a tasty charcuterie board. Food is a part of life; let’s explore its different possibilities.

Pray
The “Pray” aspect of her journey does not imply being a devout Christian or attending church every Sunday; it’s about reclaiming your happiness. Although sometimes it might not feel like it, you are the only person controlling your life and actions. A little advice from Liz: “You have to participate relentlessly in the manifestations of your own blessings. And once you have achieved a state of happiness, you must never become lax about maintaining it.” Choose your happiness even in times when it seems impossible. When you lose your zen, clear your mind through meditation and yoga, even if only for a few minutes each day. The app “insight” is an excellent tool for practicing guided meditations or yoga sessions to clear your mind of daily troubles. You are powerful enough to change your mindset and take back your voice. Even though we all wish we were in an ashram in India living our Eat, Pray, Love moment, you can practice meditation and yoga at home. Start writing down your manifestations, or make a 2023 vision board party with your friends. You are capable of entering any era you desire.

Love

Love is always in the air, whether with a partner, friend, family, or self-love. One thing we can say we learned in Eat, Pray, Love: Love is complicated. Any relationship with yourself or others can be a rollercoaster, but it’s always worth it. I don’t know about you, but after watching Julia Roberts slowly dance to a Neil Young song with her partner, my view has changed on how love should feel. For all my single readers out there, don’t rush the process! Things will happen when you least expect it, and you’ll receive the love you deserve sooner or later. Don’t settle for anything less than genuine love that validates you. But in the meantime, fall in love with yourself first. Not only should you focus on self-love, but focus on self-acceptance. Take time to develop life-lasting friendships! Make unforgettable memories with the people around you. Your big romantic moment will come when you least expect it.

“Dolce far niente” is the sweetness of doing nothing. That sounds nice, right? The idiom appears in Eat, Pray, Love, in which the Italian locals tease Elizabeth for not understanding the phrase as an American. I relate to the everyday struggle. I must always do something “productive.” We take on so much and forget how to enjoy or relax. Even though society implemented a live-to-work mindset, please do everything you can to break it down. Fall in love with life and stay in the present. Make time for life’s simple pleasures and enjoy them with no urgency. Let’s all manifest our Eat, Pray, Love era for 2023.

Samantha Lobacz

U Mass Boston '25

Sam is a second-year UMass Boston student majoring in management with a concentration in marketing. She works in the social media management team for the UMB chapter. Her goal is to work in marketing as a social media manager. When she is not in school or working on UMB Her Campus socials, she works as a social media assistant at an interior design firm. She enjoys going to the gym and taking her dog to the park!