This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Boston chapter.

Despite being posted in January, Mikayla Nogueira’s controversial TikTok L’Oreal mascara review has continued to spark conversations about the importance of truth in advertising for influencers. Nogueira, a TikTok beauty content creator with over 14 million followers, posted a video review of the mascara and gave the final impression that the product made her lashes impressively long. Viewers, however, quickly noticed what appeared to be false lashes added to her look at the end of her video, and they started commenting with accusations of dishonesty and calls for transparency.

@mikaylanogueira

THESE ARE THE LASHES OF MY DREAMS!! @lorealparisusa never lets me down 😭 #TelescopicLift #LorealParisPartner #LorealParis @zoehonsinger

♬ original sound – Mikayla Nogueira

While it may appear to some viewers as a minor issue, the backlash against Nogueira’s video highlights the growing demand for authenticity from influencers. As more people use social media to find product recommendations, they expect creators to be open about their experiences with the products they promote. This is especially important when it comes to paid partnerships, which must be disclosed in accordance with FTC guidelines. If influencers are found to be deceptive in their advertising, they may face fines and damage to their reputation, and Mikayla’s comments have since been filled with people mentioning the situation. So, it is safe to say that talks about the situation are not going away.

Apart from the legal implications, the backlash against Nogueira’s video has irritated other influencers, who are concerned that it could damage the trust between creators and their followers. Another popular beauty content creator, Alissa Ashley, responded to the situation with a TikTok video, saying, “Stuff like this is why people don’t trust influencers, and it’s so upsetting.” Authenticity has become a powerful tool for influencers to connect with their audiences in a landscape of aspirational content. When that authenticity is called into question, the consequences for their careers can be detrimental.

@alissa.ashley

no hate its just super disappointing because as ‘influencers’ people are putting their trust in us and this isnt cool #mikaylanogueira

♬ Chill Vibes – Tollan Kim

Viewers expect creators to be transparent about any biases or incentives that may influence their opinions as they increasingly turn to social media for product recommendations. This is especially true for paid partnerships and sponsorships, which require disclosure to ensure that viewers understand the influencer-brand relationship. Influencers can build trust with their audiences and establish themselves as credible sources of information by being open about their product opinions.

Undoubtedly, there will always be individuals who try to take advantage of the system. As the need for influencer marketing grows, it is critical that regulators and platforms stay attentive to ensuring producers follow the laws. However, viewers must also play a part in holding influencers accountable and demanding transparency in their advertising. This may help them guarantee that the things they buy are based on real recommendations rather than sponsorships.

Ultimately, the controversy surrounding Mikayla Nogueira’s mascara review emphasizes the necessity of truth in advertising for influencers. As more and more consumers turn to social media for product recommendations, they expect creators to be honest about their opinions and disclose any incentives that may have influenced their recommendations, or lack thereof. As the influencer marketing industry evolves, it is critical that creators and viewers alike remain dedicated to the concepts of transparency and authenticity.

Courtney Zoquier

U Mass Boston '24

Hi there! I'm Courtney, a junior at UMass Boston majoring in management with a concentration in marketing. My dream is to land a career in PR within the beauty industry, where I can merge my passion for makeup and marketing into one fabulous job. When I'm not studying or obsessing over the latest beauty trends, you can find me listening to music from my favorite Latin artists, including Bad Bunny, Rauw Alejandro, and Karol G. I'm also a big fan of The Weeknd. I'm excited to join the Her Campus community and explore the world of writing, and maybe even discover some new passions along the way.