Wellness

6 Spring Theme Ideas For Your Next Solo Date

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Boston chapter.

With Spring Break coming to a close and the semester back in session, it is often easy to find yourself getting lost amidst the storm of piling up assignments and exam preparation. Now that the days are longer and the weather is warmer, this is the perfect time to go out and enjoy the beautiful weather and pleasantries that spring provides us. That said, making plans with friends or loved ones is always fun. However, sometimes it’s delightful to have fun alone and treat yourself!

When you feel the stress building up, taking a step back and relaxing is vital. These are six solo date ideas you can enjoy solitude with this spring.

1. picnic

This idea is one of the most versatile activities; pack your favorite snacks and drinks, and bring a book or journal if you like! Having complete creative authority over how you plan your picnic is definitely a plus in my book. The ideas are endless. Put on a cute outfit, put all your picnic items in a tote bag or a linen-lined basket (for the aesthetic), and create a playlist that will suit the vibe of feeling comfy and soaking up the sun on your picnic.

2. Strawberry picking

colorful fruit illustration?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Original Illustration Created in Canva for Her Campus Media

Strawberry picking is a must in the springtime. Nothing beats going into a strawberry field and seeing all the strawberries blossom or just ripe for the picking. And, of course, you get an incredibly juicy and sweet snack at the end of your trip.

3. visit an art museum

An all-time favorite activity I do at any time of the year is visiting a museum. However, there’s something different about going by yourself to an art museum in the spring. A lot of the time, museums switch out their exhibits for others that fit the atmosphere of the season. Take pictures of the paintings that inspire and invoke thought during your visit. This can be used as a reference to spark creative spring-themed artwork of your own!

4. participate or VISIT local festivities

The Lalalooking At Flowers Pink Bag
Her Campus Media

With the weather being excellent, it is always nice to go out and take a walk around the city or town you live in and see what sorts of festivals or markets are beginning to open up for the season. Taking a trip to a local flea market, a thrift store, or a festival happening in a nearby park commons are all examples of getting out by yourself and exploring the different types of activities or festivals in your city during the springtime.

5. paint outdoors

Painting is an incredible way to take time and relax, especially outdoors. You can also paint on various surfaces, such as canvas, stones, tote bags, or even an old sketchbook you haven’t picked up in a while. Take inspiration from your surroundings, and if you’re stuck, you can find so many references on Pinterest. If you happened to take up on the art museum idea, use one of the photos you took as a reference to create your own masterpiece. Remember, it doesn’t need to be perfect. Relinquish your time and energy into relaxing and enjoying your moment while developing your art piece.

6. bake a sweet treat

MollyHatch
Courtesy of Molly Hatch

Now, who doesn’t love a sweet treat? Baking is so fun, and there are so many options you can choose from. One of my personal favorites is baking chocolate chip cookies. Be creative! Use different icing or food coloring to add to your treat, whether you make cupcakes or cookies. Adding a spring flair of cherry blossoms or adorable pastel colors will make you smile.

As someone who loves ideas for self-care, nothing feels as special as time spent on your own. Take some time this Spring semester, and do something special for yourself. Regardless of what you decide to do, you earned it, and remember that you deserve nothing but love and positivity!

Ciara Santiago

U Mass Boston '25

Ciara is a Junior majoring in psychology at the University of Massachusetts Boston. She loves to paint, watch movies, listen to music and podcasts, and read avidly. They advocate for mental health and wellness and hope to share this passion with others.