Zootopia: A Film Every Graduating Senior Must See

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Everywhere you go on social media at this time of year you see a plethora of articles written about seniors graduating college. It certainly is a bittersweet time in everyone’s life and it is an important milestone worth celebrating. But, in the back of our minds we can’t help but ask, “What is our first time in the ‘real world’ going to be like?”

Recently, all of these thoughts hit me around the time I went to see Zootopia. Thinking it was going to be geared towards a younger audience, I watched the film expecting to find the inner child in me. However, despite the various scenes that contained youth-oriented humor, the plot line itself was centered around a rabbit whohas  recently graduated from the police academy. As the film progressed, I found myself (in more ways than one) relating to all of the characters. 

Two words: Free Food

Wherever you may end up working after college, hopefully you are blessed with wonderful coworkers who bring in food to the office. Donut day is definitely not a myth!

Making it Work With the New Co-workers and Boss

Speaking of co-workers, all have heard multiple times that we will face working with individuals who may not be so pleasant. In Zootopia, main character Judy Hopps faces various obstacles with coworkers, such as being underestimated by her boss because of her size. But, Judy Hopps certainly is the epitome of holding her own and that is something we all must do in the “real world!”

Making New Friends!

After you get a job you might end up moving to a new apartment in a new town. You may have found a bunch of random roommates to live with or you may have met some new pals at the coffee shop in town. Regardless, you have plenty of opportunities to meet new people, sometimes even in the strangest of places. Judy and Nick’s friendship is a prime example!

Doing Adult Things on Your Own

Part of growing up and moving out of the house means you have to endure a lot of obstacles on your own. Your driver’s license expired? Mom and Dad can’t speak to the clerks at the RMV anymore for you. Hopefully the RMV clerks are not as slow as the sloths in the film!

I was very surprised to find that Zootopia had a very adult-oriented theme. It certainly premiered at a significant time for seniors graduating this May. If you have not seen this film yet and are graduating, I encourage you to go see it, as it makes “adulting” a lot more tolerable. The film does not lie; graduating college will lead to a serious transition filled with various obstacles, but also excitement for the road ahead!

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst