This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Your service to your server. For some people, it’s a no-brainer. Put your cellphone down, enunciate when speaking, and use your manners. If you follow those simple steps, then brava, you must have been raised by the golden rule: treat others the way you want to be treated. But for those of you who cannot quite comprehend proper restaurant etiquette, fear not, your servers are here to help. 

From making a wine selection that will best compliment your meal, to gearing you towards our freshest dish, our job is to assist you in enjoying your evening. At the same time, feel free to decline our suggestions. Honesty is the best policy and if you would be happiest drinking a full bodied cabernet with a lemon-crusted codfish, then be my guest. As a matter of fact, most servers couldn’t care less about what you order, as long as it reaches you in a timely fashion and the way you ordered it. But in order to fulfill that basic requirement, there are a few things that we need from you

Beginning with the basics, servers require your attention. When someone approaches your table and greets you, remember that you are replaceable. If you don’t want to be there, more often than not, there is someone else who does. So whether you’ve had a bad day or the most glorious day of your life, you should most certainly respond when your server says, “Hello, how are you tonight?” While we’re on the same page, unless someone is in dire need of medical attention, do not interrupt your server’s greeting mid-way through with your personal drink order. Simply wait for us to finish and we will be more than happy to come back with your beverage. If we forget something, tell us! On average, servers will have four tables or more, with anywhere from 15 to 25 people to keep happy at once. “To err is human,” and we won’t mind running back to get your extra lemons if you simply ask.

Asking is key and if there is something we can do to make your night better, we’ll help. But if it’s 7:00 on a Friday night and there’s no bread made, expect to wait until it’s ready. As much as we would love to cook the food for you, we can’t do it all and some things are left to the kitchen. In the middle of a busy shift, a $30 tuna steak is going to take precedent over your free bread. All we ask is that you remain in your seat and when the food is ready, we will bring it to you.

Depending on the restaurant you go to, there may be a “food runner.” After bringing numerous dishes to tables, servers and food runners learn to become bona fied jugglers. So when we approach your table of four while balancing three scalding dishes on top of bare skin, please clear your hands and phones out of the way. As a server, my hands and arms are covered in scars from burning dishes due to inconsiderate guests. Please refrain from asking us if we forgot the fourth dish. Unfortunately we are not octopi and therefore only have two arms. But, we assure you it is on its way.

Now we’re almost at the end and you’re deciding on dessert. Great! We love when you order dessert, because not only does it increase your bill that little extra bit, but we get a second or two to relax. But if you don’t order dessert, no worries! We are happy to get your check so you can get on your way.

Last but definitely not least, the bill. When dropping off your check, your server doesn’t necessarily want to rush you, but more often than not, there is a reservation or someone waiting after you. A lot of servers rely on turning their tables because, let’s face it, we don’t get paid much. According to the U.S. Department of Labor, the federal minimum wage for servers is $2.13 an hour (for the fiscal year of 2015). Yes, you read that correctly. $2.13 an hour. Without your tips, our 7-10 hour shifts are essentially worthless. At the close of each shift, we are required to tip bartenders, food runners, bussers, etc. At the end of each week, the government requires us to pay taxes. And when it all boils down, our paychecks are almost always a few dollars or less. So the reason we’re serving you, is because we rely on your tip. We need that gratuity to keep our lights on, to pay our rent, to put ourselves through school.

Certainly we have all had bad service before, but everyone has “off” days. If you feel that your service was so drastically terrible – let’s say you never got your food, or drinks, or your server insulted you – tell a manager! By not tipping your server, his/her mood will only decrease and nothing will change. Once you’ve taken your complaint(s) directly to management, they will take control of the situation and you will almost always be compensated. Remember that we are there to serve you, not to be your servant. We laugh at your terrible jokes, we hand-stuff blue cheese olives for your dirty martinis, we literally scar ourselves for your enjoyment and leisure. We work very hard to take care of you and the way you take care of us shows the world your true colors. Make sure they shine brightly.

Sources:

US Department of Labor

http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm

Images:

http://thoughtcatalog.com/alex-regenstreich/2014/04/12-reasons-working-at-a-restaurant-is-the-best-job-youll-ever-have/

http://www.temeculawines.org/blog/tag/best-red-wines/

http://rollingout.com/2014/07/21/top-5-best-dessert-restaurants-chicago/2/

http://smalltalkmedia.com/restaurant-proves-new-generation-ruining-experience/

Junior Political Science and Legal Studies Double Major at UMass Amherst.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst