Your Gluten-free Guide to Sweets & Treats

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

This summer, I found out that I was highly sensitive to not only dairy, but gluten and whole grain products as well. My favorite desserts have always been ice cream and cookies, so I had to look for delicious alternatives that could fill my sweet tooth cravings while also keeping my body happy and healthy. Over the past few months, I’ve been on the lookout for some of my favorite sweets to try. Take a look below to see some of my favorite finds!

Gluten-free Pumpkin Bread from Trader Joe’s

If you’re like me and love the taste of pumpkin in the fall, this pumpkin bread is a great alternative to normal pumpkin bread and tastes the same, if not better! If you’re looking to add more flavor, you can sprinkle in a cinnamon and sugar mix on top for an extra sweetness! You can also add crushed walnuts or top it with chocolate chips for even more sweetness with an added crunch. It does take longer to cook than most breads, but it’s definitely worth it in the end! 

Cookie Dough “Ice Cream” by So Delicious

Another one of my favorite desserts was cookie dough ice cream, but with the change in dairy and gluten-free desserts, I was on the lookout for a great alternative. I tried the Ben & Jerry’s Cookie Dough Almond milk “Ice Cream”, but I wasn’t the hugest fan. The texture of the So Delicious alternative is smooth and creamy, with chunks of chocolate on the inside. It tastes so good, you’ll forget it’s even made with coconut milk. 

Banana “Ice Cream” with Cacao Nibs

This is something I used to eat over the summer while on the “Whole30”, and it’s especially good now if you have bananas that are about to go bad and you need something to do with them. Simply take one or more bananas that you left in the freezer overnight, and place them into a blender (you can also add almond milk, or a nut butter for extra flavor) and blend it on medium or high. Then pour into a bowl, add cacao nibs, cinnamon, chocolate chips, or whatever else you think might taste good with it! The creaminess of the frozen banana is a great texture too. 

Dark Chocolate Covered Strawberries or Bananas

Need I say more? This is a great dessert alternative that will curb your sweet tooth, and it’s easy to make. Simply dip the strawberries or cut up bananas into a melted bowl of dark chocolate, leave in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, and you’re all set. You can also buy chocolate covered bananas from your nearest Trader Joe’s in the freezer section.

Date, Banana, and Honey Smoothie

If you’re looking for a more filling dessert, this smoothie will definitely hit the spot. Simply combine one banana (or two if your making more than one serving), two dates, a drizzle of honey, crushed almonds, almond milk, and ice into a blender. If you want to make it sweeter, add in an extra date or more honey and blend! You can also add in almond butter or peanut butter to give it a thicker texture. 

Suddenly changing your lifestyle to a gluten and dairy-free diet can be really tough in the beginning but there are hundreds, if not thousands, of recipes and alternatives that will make the transition a breeze! 

Sources: 1

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4,

Lyla Hyman

U Mass Amherst '21

Lyla is a senior at UMass Amherst. She is studying both Communication and Journalism and is currently a Senior Editor, Multimedia Director, and Twitter Coordinator for HC at UMass Amherst. When she is not busy working, she spends her time writing, singing, reading new books, walking outside, and making matcha lattes. She was born and raised in Boston, MA.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst