Worth It: Sephora Purchases You Won’t Regret

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Sephora is a place of happiness. It’s essentially a toy store for hair and beauty lovers. While you can test out products and get makeup advice, you still can’t always be sure of everything you’re getting. Higher prices and a college girl budget make it essential that you love the product that you’re buying. So what’s worth it? I’ll show you!

Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil

Price: $19

Some eyeliners just don’t pop, some just don’t stay, and some are just boring. With forty different colors to choose from this eyeliner has a shade to satisfy everyone. Your choice of metallic or matte options allows you to customize your look for any occasion.  It’s long wearing, waterproof, and easy to apply. And with a 4.5/5 star rating, based on 11,650 reviews, it is a tried and true beauty favorite.

TOO FACED Shadow Insurance

Price: $20

Don’t we all hate smudging, creasing, oily, make-up messes? Nothing ruins your night more than passing by a mirror and realizing your hard work is melting away. With this primer your eye shadow (and your eyeliner) will stay put all day and into the evening. Its crease resistance, easy blendability, and long lasting protection are all reasons to try it. A 4.7/5 star rating with 4,666 reviews, proves that others love it just as much.

Urban Decay Naked and Naked2

Price: $50 each

Yikes! That price stings, but with 12 eye shadows in each palette you have been handed all the tools you need to create your perfect signature look.

The Naked palette contains shades in glitter, shimmer, and matte which are perfect for creating both day and night looks. It also comes with a bonus Good Karma Eyeshadow Brush, and a travel-sized eye shadow primer potion. If you don’t believe me, how about the 4.8/5 star rating with 6,165 reviews?

Or what about the palette’s sequel, Naked2? Featuring matte and sparkle shades, light and dark, this palette is capable of creating any number of neutral or smoky eye looks. A Good Karma shadow/crease brush and a sample of Lip Junkie lipgloss come with it. A 4.7/5 star rating with 3,813 reviews shows that people are learning to love it as much as the original.

bareMinerals Original Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 15

Price: $27

Fact, when your skin looks great you feel great. Foundations can be difficult to shop for because of limited shades, creasing, minimum coverage, and dryness. This mineral-based foundation comes in twenty different shades that match your skin’s tones and undertones. Advocates say it provides a natural finish, buildable coverage, is non-drying, and long-wearing, not to mention it comes complete with SPF.

While I wouldn’t recommend trying to buy this product online, it’s worth a trip to the store to take a look and try out the shades. With a 4.6/5 star rating based on 17,733 reviews, this product has already won over a lot of women.

NARS Blush

Price: $29

Blush is a tricky product. It can completely brighten up your face or make you look like your make-up was done by a six year old. This particular blush is a powder that offers translucent, natural shades that will highlight your face. According to the company these shades were designed to be worn alone or layered for depth. And with names like “Orgasm” and “Seduction” how can you not help but feel sexy and radiant? With a 4.7/5 star rating, 13,340 women have already been seduced by this product.

FRESH Sugar Lip Treatment SPF 15

Price: $22.50

Some girls, myself included, cannot travel without their chapstick. We understand that there is nothing worse than dry, cracked lips. This lip treatment not only protects from UV rays, but it nourishes and protects your lips. With a hydrating, non-sticky formula, and your choice of 8 shades (including clear) this will become your newest must-have. 5,286 reviews have given it an average 4.5/5 stars, proving that healthy lips are worth a little extra. I will say however, that if you’re somebody who loses small items frequently, this may not be for you, but if you have a designated “chapstick pocket” in your bag, you may want to consider it.

Philosophy Purity Made Simple

Price: depends on size

While foundations can cover a lot, washing your face with the proper product can make all the difference in the world. This facial cleanser is capable of dissolving dirt, make-up, and gently cleaning your face. A “Best of Sephora” Winner from 2008, this product has continued to gain fans with 7,657 reviews supporting its 4.6/5 star rating. Reviewers call it milky, gentle, and cleansing, but effective.

For $10 you can get a 3 oz. size to try and if you decide you love it you can move up to an 8 oz. size for $22. For double that quantity (16 oz.) you can pay $33 and if for some reason you really want 24 oz. you can pay $41. Whichever size you prefer (though I do recommend starting small) the option is all yours.

Laura Mercier Tightline Cake Eye Liner

Price: $23

This product isn’t that well known compared to the rest (only 194 reviews and a 4.4/5 star rating), but I chose to include it because it is a personal favorite. I think it’s not that popular because it’s not technically an eyeliner, but a tightliner. For those of you who don’t know what tightlining is, it’s a trick that’s used to make your lashes look awesome. By applying the liner below the lashes (instead of on top) and into the base near the waterline you create the illusion of thicker, fuller lashes. Great for natural looks or for making smoky eyes pop, tightlining takes a little getting used to, but once you master it, it pays off.

So there you have it, the Sephora products that are worth your well earned money. Next time you’re in the store or online check them out! 

Kristen Mouris

U Mass Amherst

Kristen Mouris is currently a senior English major and Campus Correspondent at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. She is also serving as Associate Editor of English Society's literary journal, Jabberwocky. She is originally from Falmouth, MA. Her interests include hunting for new music, writing, and reading movie trivia.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst