Why You Shouldn’t Listen to Anyone Who Questions Your Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Talking about what you want to do with the rest of your life to fellow college students or family members can be a little intimidating. It seems like everyone is a business or engineering major that will guarantee a high-paying job, but for some of us that just isn’t ideal. As a journalism major, I’ve felt the subtle disapproval for going against these career paths, but I’ve learned that you just can’t pay attention to anyone who acts this way. In fact, I’ve learned to not listen to anyone who questions my major. Here’s why:

1. You don’t dread class or homework.

The major you chose is something that you knew you’d enjoy, so you probably won’t mind getting up for class or spending long hours on homework. When you studysomething you love, everything comes natural.

2. You learn new things about the subject you’ve always been interested in every day.

Hearing a professor talk about something within your field of choice that you’ve never even heard of can be the best. You realize why you chose to devote your college career to the subject and walk away with confidence in your future.

3. The friends you make in classes are very similar to you.

The students you meet within your major will be some of the best people you’ll ever meet, because they’re just like you. They chose the same major because they love the same subject and have the same feeling of pride. When you’re studying something that you’re not passionate for, you might not be able to relate to the people you meet.

4. You’re doing something that you absolutely love.

I’ve met a lot of students who say they are only in a certain major for the money. Because you’re not basing your major on the amount of money you’ll get, you know that you’ll at least enjoy what you choose. If you find a career with this major, your life will be surrounded by your passion.

What are some of your favorite parts about your major, Collegiettes?

Image/Gifs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Lauren Crociati

U Mass Amherst

Journalism major, alternative music enthusiast, lover of life, lover of food. 
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst