This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

No matter what point you are at in your life, whether it be swamped with school, in the midst of a breakup or experiencing a pandemic, there will always be something bringing you down. It is easy to fall into the trap of feeling the weight of the world and allowing it to consume you. I have had my fair share of days where I purposefully put on my sad playlists, write angsty poetry in my notes app, and think ‘woe is me.’ When you force yourself into these mindsets, of course, you are going to feel terrible and like the world is somehow plotting against you. 

However, something I have learned over the years is that even though it is easy to find a million things to complain about, it is just as easy to find the joy in the smallest things — all it takes is a shift in perspective. The concept of ‘romanticizing your life’ means that instead of looking at your average day-to-day tasks as mundane cycles that have to be completed, you turn them into fun events to be appreciated. It is similar to the concept of ‘being the main character’ which has become super popular lately. Though it is cheesy, it’s true! You are the main character in your own life because it is yours. 

There is joy in your morning cup of coffee, on your commutes to school or work, and in seemingly small conversations with family. There is joy in car rides with the windows open, and in the cold Massachusetts air, that feels comfortingly familiar. There is joy in trying on new clothes that you bought, mediocre Friday nights that will soon fade into vague memories, and in laughing fits with your closest friends. Finding joy in the mundane is what keeps life interesting; because when you can find happiness in the smallest corners of your days, then you will have no problem recognizing the big moments. 

For me, this concept has always been kind of easy. As someone who loves English, I tend to look at the world as a compilation of symbols and meanings waiting to be uncovered. There is just something about the little things in life and the idea of human vulnerability that has a sense of beauty. But even if you don’t see the world the same way I do, romanticizing your life will still allow you to appreciate things that you would not normally think to. In the long run, you will be grateful that you made note of the hugs you gave your grandma or the ‘how are you’ texts from old friends. When you appreciate things from the moment they are happening, it eliminates any sense of regret in the future. 

Of course, it is important to recognize there are outside factors for some that make looking for joy a little bit harder. Many of us, including myself, struggle with mental health problems that make jumbles of anxious thoughts, sadness, and overwhelming doom a common place in our minds. These thoughts, much like many parts of life, are out of anyone’s control. However, one thing we do have control over is our actions. We can create environments that foster positive thoughts. We can actively choose to look for the good. You must make a conscious decision to switch your thinking despite any negative thoughts that may inadvertently come your way. 

Unsplash

So, the next time you are driving to work or waking up early to walk to class (once we are back on campus), take a moment to appreciate exactly where you are. Understand that you will never again be or feel exactly the same way that you do in the present moment – and there is something truly magical about that.

Kately Martin

U Mass Amherst '23

Kately is junior at UMass Amherst studying Special Education and Anthropology. In her free time, you can find Kately working at Marylou’s Coffee to supplement her caffeine addiction. Kately also works part time at a day program for adults with Intellectual and Developmental disabilities as well as being the Best Buddies President here at UMass! In addition Her Campus, she enjoys running/lifting, hanging out with friends, and journaling!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst