Why You Should Pick Up An Artistic Hobby (Even If You’re “Not Artistic”)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If you’re like me from a year ago, you might be thinking that being artistic is a requirement for doing any type of art. When you hear the word “art,” your mind might automatically jump to famous paintings hanging in museums. You might even think that the reason for creating art is to share it with the world. For these reasons, I never really tried any artistic hobbies in high school. However, once the pandemic hit, I found myself with plenty of free time and nothing to fill it with, until I came across a Bob Ross painting tutorial one day when I was down the YouTube rabbit hole. 

I didn’t actually think anything I painted would turn out well, but I was so bored that I gave it a try – it was so fun, and the painting honestly didn’t come out that bad! It was so nice to have a tutorial to follow, but after some practice I went rogue and started painting my own ideas, which was not nearly as difficult as I thought it would be. Painting has been such an enjoyable way for me to express myself creatively, pass the time, and have fun – and I’m not even artistic. 

watercolor set with paintbrushes and notebook on wooden table
Photo by Tim Arterbury from Unsplash
I think the main reason that people use the reasoning of “not being artistic” to convince themselves that they shouldn’t try an artistic hobby is because they think that you have to create a stunning piece of art with a profound message and masterful execution for it to be worthwhile. I was definitely in this camp before I ripped off the bandaid and tried painting, but this isn’t the case; your art can be something that’s just for you! The worth of your art doesn’t come from what other people think of it or if you can sell it for money, it comes from what it does for you. 

We’re so wired to think that everything we do needs to have a “purpose,” but I’ve found that sometimes doing something without a purpose can be the most beneficial thing for our wellbeing. Creating art allows you to get out of your own head and be adventurous for a little while; after all, if you make a mistake, you can just cover it up or erase it. Over time, you’ll see yourself improve, and you’ll be proud of yourself, even if your pride is quiet and personal. Once you take the pressure off of yourself to create a masterpiece, art becomes fun, entertaining, and even relaxing.

woman painting
Photo by Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels

You might also be thinking that an artistic hobby means “painting,” but that’s not true! There are so many different artistic hobbies out there besides painting, like poetry, sketching, photography, and sculpting. It doesn’t matter what it is that you’re creating, it just matters that you are creating. Try out different hobbies – maybe you’re not into poetry, but photography is definitely your thing! It’s so important to do something just for you, and creating art is such a beautiful way to do it. So, I hope that after reading this you might be a little more inclined to pick up a paintbrush or grab a camera, and remember: you don’t have to be an expert at something for it to be worthwhile!

blonde woman holding camera outside
Photo by Benjamin Combs from Unsplash

Emily Day

U Mass Amherst '24

Emily is a senior at UMass Amherst majoring in Business Management and Communication and pursuing a minor in Spanish. In her free time, she can be found hanging out with friends, dancing on the UMass Tap Team, or reading a new book.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst