Style

Why You Should Make the Switch to Shopping Secondhand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

One of the things I pride myself on is my ability to always get the best deal.  For most of my life, this meant only buying things on sale or at Marshalls (which I still do all the time) until I discovered another amazing way to shop on a budget.  

If you’ve never given secondhand shopping a try – IT IS TIME.  

You can get some serious deals

Finding something in good condition for a fraction of the cost is a great feeling, but make sure it is something you will actually wear!  You can usually get an item for cheaper if it is damaged (holes, stains, etc.) but don’t fall for the trap unless it is something you KNOW you can fix. Nothing is worse than spending money on something that you will never actually wear (even if it’s only $3).

It is better for the environment (and who doesn’t care about that?)

Shopping secondhand reduces waste and pollution in the clothing industry, and buying something used means one less item is being produced.  Although you might think your impact is minor, every little thing counts when it comes to the environment! 

You can do it ONLINE

Most people don’t think “online” when they hear the term “thrift shopping,” but there are actually some amazing websites that make shopping secondhand so much easier!

ThredUp: This one is my favorite, because you can get CLEAN, almost new products for up to 90% off the retail price. This website is great because the company itself will not accept anything that isn’t of good or PERFECT quality, and if you aren’t satisfied, or something doesn’t fit — most things can be returned for free! My most recent and exciting purchase was these perfect Splendid boots for $27.99 (originally $149)! The other great thing about Thredup is that they are always having coupon codes that can get you free shipping or a percentage off your purchase!

Poshmark: This app and website is great because you can buy directly from the seller, and negotiate prices with them.  I use Poshmark mostly for selling clothes to make some extra cash, but it is also great for purchasing! It is difficult to return on this website, so make sure you know the brand so you are sure the product will fit you before purchasing it!

It’s super fun

Personally, I love looking through a variety of old and new items, trying to pick out things that will work for my style, but it would be almost impossible to do all of your shopping secondhand. I love to mix brand-new clothes with fun pieces I find at the thrift store to create looks that are uniquely my own. I always try and search for colors and styles that will go with other things I have, and have in mind what exactly I want to wear it with.  

It will inspire you to sell your own clothes

Shopping secondhand will encourage you to sell some of your old clothes that don’t fit you or that you will never wear again! This is an easy way to make some cash while also helping you clear out your closet! Most thrift stores will buy a percentage of the items you bring in (depending on the brand and quality). Selling items on Poshmark, however, will give you an even larger profit. It can be tricky, but putting in the effort will go a long way! 

Header Image: 1 

Images: 1, 2, 3

Shannon FitzGerald

U Mass Amherst '20

Shannon is a junior honors student at UMass Amherst studying Communication and Economics. Although she wishes she could be traveling all the time, she is usually found hanging out with her friends, binge watching shows on Netflix, and shopping wherever she can get the best deal!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst