Why You Should Catch Up on the AppleTV+ Show “Ted Lasso” Before the Next Season Comes Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Believe

Unless you’ve watched the AppleTV+ show, Ted Lasso, you probably wouldn’t understand why I started this article with that one word. But to many Ted Lasso fans, that one word holds a lot of meaning despite its small structure.

How Ted Lasso Began

This quirky, heartwarming TV show sprung from a sketch from the NBC Sports Network featuring Jason Sudeikis as Coach Ted Lasso. The sketch is about an American football coach being hired to coach a soccer club in London. From his midwestern accent and sayings to his all-around positive mindset, Ted serves as quite the juxtaposition to AFC Richmond, a football club that has been struggling recently. The first episode was released on August 14, 2020, and episodes continued to be released every week until the end of the season, comprising the first season of 10 episodes. The second season was released on July 28, 2021, and followed the same pattern as the first season of releasing episodes weekly, but contained 12 episodes.

A Show That’s Not Just About Soccer (. . . or Football, Whichever You Prefer)

Although the main focus of this TV show is soccer (or football), there are also different storylines that are separate from the game. For example, without spoiling too much, Ted faces challenges with his mental health. Not only does he experience difficulties in his marriage, but it’s also hard for him to ignore the constant mockery AFC Richmond fans give him for being their coach. The show provides conversations surrounding mental health, which is so important especially based on the time when the show was released in 2020. 2020, in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, was a time in which mental health was a discussion many institutions and platforms were having. I think it was a good decision to put this aspect into the show even though it’s in the comedy genre. Displaying Ted’s struggles in a light that people can relate to creates depth in his character. Additionally, all the characters in this show have depth to them, from Ted’s quirky assistant Coach Beard who loves to play chess in his free time to Keeley Jones, the girlfriend of AFC Richmond’s star player. You can’t help but follow these characters’ lives and root for the league underdog AFC Richmond.

The Theme

This show, full of comedic bits, also has an overlying message that Ted serves by example. Constantly torn down by reporters, fans, and the media, Ted does his best to not let this get to him and instead kills them with kindness. Without giving too much away, Ted is constantly facing obstacles as a coach, but he meets these obstacles with kindness, and most importantly forgiveness and understanding. The show has a focus on positivity, but not the kind of toxic positivity that dismisses real feelings. Ted maintains a positive attitude that he’s learned to have from facing difficulties in his past, and he uses these difficulties to his advantage. He can understand and empathize with others who are going through those same difficulties.

Whenever I rewatch an episode of Ted Lasso, I’m inspired all over again since the last time I watched it. Ted’s positivity and kindness come as a lesson that I think many people would benefit from learning from. The third season is currently being released every Wednesday starting March 15, so make sure to catch up on the first two seasons of Ted Lasso before you watch the newly released episodes!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets 

Rose Kelly

U Mass Amherst '26

Rose is a sophomore at UMass Amherst studying Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences with an Art minor. She loves spending time at the beach, painting in watercolors, and eating Purple Cow ice cream.