This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

What I have to say is this: if you haven’t watched Normal People on Hulu yet, what are you doing with your life? Stop rewatching The Office. Stop rewatching New Girl. And get on Normal People ASAP. Your life will literally never be the same. I know that sounds a little dramatic but I am not kidding when I say that I have not been able to stop thinking about it. And it’s been three months since I watched it. 

If you haven’t heard of Normal People, it’s based on the novel by Sally Rooney. It’s a story of growing up. It’s a story of love and tragedy. It’s is a story of miscommunication. It’s a story about truly normal people. Despite only having 12 episodes in the mini-series, Normal People will grip you like no other show. I finished it in a span of 48 hours. No joke. 

Now I don’t want to give any spoilers, but I do want you to start the show like yesterday. So, here are my top three reasons why you need to watch Normal People ASAP. 

The Characters

The show revolves around Marianne and Connell, two teenagers from a small town in Ireland. Connell is popular and well-liked while Marianne is a loner and is constantly picked on. The pair grow up and grow together. The actors, Paul Mescal and Daisy Edgar Jones, are simply fantastic. They are young and fresh-faced, with chemistry that truly brings the essence of Marianne and Connell to life. Throughout the series, the couple develops while together and apart. Connell is insecure. Marianne is confidant. Marianne pushes Connell to go further in his life than he thought possible. Connell teaches Marianne how to love, how to be vulnerable. 

And if that isn’t enough, the characters stay with you. There is something about them that is so familiar. It’s more than easy to put yourself in their shoes and imagine that it’s you experiencing all these things. It’s a nice escape in this pandemic life. These characters are complex yet also mundane. They are normal people. 

Side note: if you haven’t read the novel, you must!

The Relationship

Connell and Marianne have a relationship that is riddled with complexities. There are differences in social classes that inherently cause issues despite not often being addressed directly. There are differences in social circles. And above all else, there is extreme miscommunication. I don’t want to give anything away, so just watch, and you’ll get it. So many of their relationship issues could have been avoided with simple and frank conversations. But, as we all know, it isn’t that simple. Ever. The series shows parts of the couple’s relationship from both their points of view. Witnessing the blatant miscommunication on both ends had me almost yelling at the characters through the screen. However, it’s also normal and familiar. Connell and Marianne’s relationship is one that is so intense and all-consuming. They protect and lift each other up. Their love is immense yet questionable. 

The Romance

Like I said before, the chemistry between the characters is insane. Marianne and Connell’s relationship is beautiful in it itself, but their chemistry takes it to another level. Some forewarning, the romantic scenes can be a little vivid. Their relationship, romantically, is intense and intimate in ways only they could understand and feel whenever they were together. But Edgar Jones and Mescal’s acting makes it feel real beyond belief. It is beautiful and heartbreaking at the same time. And again, it’s normal.

Trust me. If you haven’t watched Normal People yet, do it. You won’t regret it. It is perhaps one of my all-time favorite shows. Plus it’ll leave you thinking and questioning for days to come.

And if you do happen to watch it, check out the popular Instagram account Connell’s Chain. You’ll understand after you watch. Thank me later!

Karishma Mistry

U Mass Amherst '23

Karishma is the Editor-in-Chief and a senior honors student at UMass Amherst, majoring in public health and economics. Some of her passions include advocating for female health, reading, and anything involving food. As a dual citizen of the US and UK, she loves to travel. Feel free to follow her on Instagram @karishmamiistry or her foodstagram @munchinwk.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst