This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Goooood morning, Her Campus!! How ya dern?? It is 11:30am on Monday, March 2nd so you know what that means: the newest episode of “The Morning Toast” is on Spotify! What is “The Morning Toast,” you ask? “The Morning Toast” is the millennial (but gen-Z-approved) morning show that delivers the fast five stories that YOU need to know before you wake up and take a bite out of your morning toast! Sisters Jackie and Claudia Oshry go live at 10:30am Eastern time on Youtube and are available anywhere podcasts can be found (so that’s Spotify, iTunes, Stitcher, iHeartRadio, Public Radio, all the places). Hopefully, after reading this article, you’ll know why you should go leave them a five-star review on how beautiful, stunning, and smart they are :) 

Pexels

In the past year, I’ve probably listened to close to 200 episodes of “The Morning Toast” (as you can probably tell from that memorized spiel). What started as a quarantine-era phase of me listening to their podcast every day as I made lunch in the Q, has evolved to me becoming probably the most committed fan I’ve ever been for any kind of entertainment. 

Jackie and Claudia cover pop-culture news, as well as a couple business/entertainment industry stories every day. Now, I know that many of you have read that and immediately decided that the podcast isn’t for you, and I get that. I’ve never been one to care much about the Kardashians, or Morgan Stewart, or what Prince Harry did on James Corden last week either. But “The Morning Toast” is so much more. The podcast has an amazing community and network of listeners, called “Toasters,” that is incredible to be a part of. By listening to their podcast every day, you quickly learn their lingo and inside jokes, and you feel like you’re a part of their family. When you listen to their hot takes on a mindless news story about Kelly Ripa (idek who she is, but the mindlessness is insane), you too feel like you’re uncovering some weird PR scheme. The podcast is a beautiful example of media as a tool to bring people together, and should truly be used as a model to inspire anyone who is hoping to build a community.

The hosts are sisters, and their humor is the exact same humor my younger sister and I share when we are together. They are also Jewish, which is so fun to see as a Jew myself, because there is really not too much representation in the social media influencer space for proud Jewish women. Jackie is the brains of the operation, she is the big sister we all need, and her wedding was literally my life goals. Claudia is like that kid you went to camp with, who put on a dramatic solo singing performance at the annual talent show and thought she was Adele, except for now she’s 26 (and I mean that in the best way possible). She has recently come out with a book and a comedy special, and when her book became number twelve on the New York Times bestseller list, I was so proud of her. I felt like she was my own sister. These girls are the kind of girls who make up a theme song for their younger sister, Margo, and then when they meet celebrities on the Country Music Awards red carpet, they make them sing the theme song live on air (2:16:40). Claudia is the kind of girl that when she once ended up on a boat with Leonardo DiCaprio and it looked like it might start storming, started singing “Near… Far… Wherever you are…” in her best Celine Dion voice (Leo LAUGHED, btw). These are the type of girls who look at life in terms of Campers and Counselors, sing songs about their dog, take their bit a little too far sometimes, and respect the fact that High School Musical 2 was INDISPUTABLY the best HSM movie. In other words, they have been my best friends for the past year. So if you want some steeny vibes and best friends too, hop on Spotify and catch their newest episode. 

When you become a Toaster, you will start to feel like the Oshry’s are your sisters too, and in addition to adapting their catchphrases into your everyday life (I literally can’t stop saying “we have absolutely no choice but to stan” in response to everything), you’ll get new movie/tv show recommendations, and most importantly, start every morning laughing. Oh, and trust me, you will start to care about Prince Harry going on James Corden (literally what a weird PR move, such a mistake, they should’ve just waited until after their Oprah interview!!). See you all at 10:30 am tomorrow morning!!

Spotify on iPhone
Photo by Fixelgraphy from Unsplash

Natalie Bronfine

U Mass Amherst '23

I'm a Sophomore Marketing major from New Hampshire! I'm passionate about dance, travel, the beach, cats, and ice cream :)
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst