Why “love, rosie” is the best romance movie you’ll ever watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Romance movies: you either love them, or you hate them, and there really is no in-between…at least that’s what I thought. I used to hate romance movies. I thought they were sappy and cliché and always followed the same boring plot. A boy and girl fall in love and live happily ever after, The End. It wasn’t until I watched Love, Rosie that my views changed. I first watched the movie on YouTube, it was totally pirated and uploaded by some random user under the name “a couple who never quite falls in love” or something like that. It was WAY before YouTube had all their guidelines, so if that tells you anything about how long ago it was, then I can most certainly tell you I don’t remember what the title was either. But watching it for the first time made me fall in love with love. 

Lily Collins as Emily in episode 204 of Emily in Paris
Photo by Carole Bethuel / Netflix

I recommend this movie to EVERYONE I meet. You can call me obsessed. It’s one of the best movies I’ve ever seen. It’s my go-to answer when someone asks what my favorite movie is and I know that after watching it, it will be your answer too. 

Love, Rosie, starring Lily Collins and Sam Claflin, follows two best friends throughout their lives. Their love for one another is a “Will they? Won’t they?” battle as they constantly miss one another due to a number of different life events.     

The movie starts out with Rosie (Lily Collins) and Alex (Sam Claflin) celebrating her 18th birthday at a bar. Now at first, this might seem weird but spoiler alert, it starts off in England so this location of choice for an 18th birthday is pretty normal. They share a kiss but Rosie is too drunk to remember it and Sam never brings it up again out of embarrassment. This was the first big mistake that eventually created a domino effect throughout the rest of their relationship.

Don’t let the 32% Rotten Tomatoes deter you from this fabulous work of art. The movie offers raw emotions and plays on the realistic idea that sometimes life gets in the way. Rosie and Alex were the right pairing at the wrong time. The movie embraces the messiness that comes with life. Failed relationships, Moving away from home, and even having children are all things that affect people on a daily basis and are also things Rosie and Alex faced throughout the movie. 

Love, Rosie shows the power that a true bond can bring. Despite all their challenges Rosie and Alex consistently remained friends and supported one another through it all. The movie also focused on the connection Rosie shared with her father. Her father pushed her to follow her dreams no matter what stage of life she was in and the support and love she received from family and friends allowed her to gain the confidence she needed in her career and in her love for Alex. 

I don’t want to spoil anything so I’ll stop here, but if you like a good rom-com, or romance movie and want one that isn’t so overplayed, I highly recommend you give this one a watch. I promise you’ll be crying by the end of it.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Abigail Hartman

U Mass Amherst '23

Abby's a Senior with a psychology major and a Spanish and PoliSci minor, and she loves anything true crime related!